Talk

Advanced search

Oban - anyone know it/been there?

(17 Posts)
helsy Wed 06-Jul-05 15:44:49

I've just booked four days in a b and b in Oban for me, DH and dds (5 and 1). I have the option of a nice self-catering place for a week but it's a bit dear and someone told me the kids would be bored if we stay that long. I love that area but don't know what it's like for children. Can anyone tell me what there is to do for families apart from Balamory and looking for sea eagles? I want to go to Iona, too - would children like that?
Thanks!

teeavee Wed 06-Jul-05 15:47:01

there's a thread under travel about tobermory and mull

helsy Wed 06-Jul-05 15:54:52

Thanks!

helsy Wed 06-Jul-05 16:15:13

I've read the other threads - anyone got any ideas for what else to do apart from Balamory?
I need to know if there's a week's worth, if you see what I mean.

Thanks

KBear Wed 06-Jul-05 16:16:17

There's a sea-life centre near Oban that my kids love (they are 6 and 3). Book yourselves on a boat to Mull - it's lovely there.

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 16:16:41

Walks all around. Beautiful countyside. But bring your raincoats and hats.

KBear Wed 06-Jul-05 16:17:43

I've got a couple of tourist books at home - I'll have a look and post later on what else there is to do with little ones.

teeavee Wed 06-Jul-05 16:22:59

I believe there is a dolphin/whale watching type thing on Mull as well...? and lovely beaches, of course

KBear Wed 06-Jul-05 19:24:05

Rare Breeds Farm park on Glencruitten Road, two miles east of Oban. The book says "it's a fun place, especially for kids, with lots of strange-looking yet familiar animals native to these shores. £5 adults, £3 children. Buses from Oban station.

helsy Wed 06-Jul-05 20:01:08

Thanks, that's great!

Skribble Thu 07-Jul-05 00:38:04

There is a great sweetie shop on Oban definatly worth a visit at least once a day, used to be a World in Minature museum not sure if its still there spent to long in sweetie shop and never got out until closing and they had to throw me out. Oh I can just smell the sugar!!!!

You could walk up to McCabes folly to work off the extra calories, but again I have never got that far. .

gscrym Thu 07-Jul-05 07:41:20

I'm going up there in abou t2 weeks for a weekend. I'll have a hunt around.

PiccadillyCircus Thu 07-Jul-05 08:57:50

I went to the Rare Breeds Farm when I went to Oban (11 years ago now). There was an excellent large sheep there (with a sign saying not to feed him as he was too fat) . He's probably no more by now though.

bensmum3 Sat 09-Jul-05 18:37:28

There is a nice swimming pool in Oban with a toddler section. If you like walking, there are lots of nice area's. We need to go back to Iona, because it was such a beautiful day and the beach was so lovely we didnt have time to do much else. I guess if you like a mixture of enjoying the countryside and places to visit you could easily fill a week.

helsy Sat 30-Jul-05 13:48:24

We're off tomorrow - please don't rain ALL week! Thanks for the suggestions.

bensmum3 Sat 30-Jul-05 20:46:26

So helsy, are you going to stay for the extra time ? I guess the All week was a clue, I think Tuesday might not be a good day,but should be ok otherwise.
We went for a day trip to Tobermory yesterday and had lovely fish and chips and ice cream , it was surprisingly quiet.

helsy Sat 30-Jul-05 23:56:51

Just five days, and a stopover on the way up. Thanks for the weather tip! We are packing for sun, rain and everything else in between......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now