Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Phenergan - anyone used it for travel sickness

(20 Posts)
moonunit Fri 01-Jul-05 20:52:10

My pharmacist recommended phenergen for travel sickness for my ds, 3.7yrs,. It says to take 5ml the night before the journey. This may be repeated after 6-8 hours if necessary. My ds sleeps 10-12 hours at night, so does that mean i would need to give him another dose in the morning, and would that not make him drowsy? The journey is only 1 hour away , but he is very bad at travelling and i don't want him to be drowsy when we reach our destination.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

moonunit Fri 01-Jul-05 22:41:11

anyone?

bonkerz Fri 01-Jul-05 23:18:43

I used it for my 4 year old ds and 3 year old dsd when we went on holiday. Worked a treat. Didnt know what to use so like you asked pharmacist and thats what he suggested mainly because its the only thing available for their age. Just follow instructions and dont worry about it. DS and DSD were great on the trip and it didnt cause drowsiness!

moonunit Fri 01-Jul-05 23:24:35

thanks bonkerz, did you give them a dose the night before and another one in the morning?

goldenoldie Sat 02-Jul-05 06:40:24

Blimey Bonk - my DH and I both suffer from Hay Fever and use Phenergan tabs for this. If we take tabs before bed, it completely knocks us out and works better than sleeping tablets. The next day we always feel very fuzzy and disconnected.

Is this the same stuff that does not even make your kids drowsy?

bonkerz Sat 02-Jul-05 08:09:41

apparently, according to the bottle anyway, phenargen is used for a variety of things according to how much you give. In low doses it helps travel sickness and i think it has to be given in quite large doses (3x5ml) at a time to make children drowsy.

mandyc66 Sat 02-Jul-05 08:12:42

didnt know phenergen was still around!!!

Kelly1978 Sat 02-Jul-05 08:15:53

I used it for dd, who has suffered from travel sickness from 6mnths. It was on the advice of the chemist who said the age recommendation had recently been raised, but it was fine for her. Sher had the two doeses, and it did stop her from being sick. Nothing else works, except for phenergan.
The only side effect is that as phenergan is a sedative it did make her sleepy, which is a shame when we were going smewhere nice, as she often wanted to have a long nap. I would think your ds should be ok in that respect though, as dd got older it hasn't made her so drowsy is such a small dose.

mandyc66 Sat 02-Jul-05 18:30:32

I knew some one who took the adult form and they said it made them feel like they had a hangover the next day!!!

moonunit Sat 02-Jul-05 20:52:33

I gave him a dose last night before bed and another this morning before we set off on journey, and it worked brilliantly, no sickness or feeling sick at all, went to sundown adventureland, so he was rushing around all day, and not the slightest bit drowsy, never even fell asleep in the car on the way home. I would definatly recommend it.

goldenoldie Mon 04-Jul-05 13:10:41

I can confirm - the adult form is lethal - complete sedative and makes you feel like pants the next day too.

Might try the kiddies version and see if it can sort-out the hay fever symptoms without making DH and I feel like we have been hit over the head with a mallet.

gemmamay Thu 07-Jul-05 22:30:11

This is a message I have been looking for!

Where can you get it from and what age can they take it from - could i give it to my dd aged 2??

We have a flight to the US on Saturday and thought it might help on the flihgt and allow her to get into a 'routine' with the whole time change etc.

marne Thu 07-Jul-05 22:32:52

you can give it from 2, works a treat.

Aimsmum Sat 09-Jul-05 12:44:10

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Fri 15-Jul-05 10:21:58

Message withdrawn

Micku5 Fri 15-Jul-05 10:36:14

Yes you can buy it over the counter at the chemist. I paid just over £2.00 for a bottle. Never used it before but am going to try it this weekend on dd to see how long it works for. (We are going away in 3 weeks and the journey is going to be 17 hours +)

Micku5 Fri 15-Jul-05 10:37:55

Oh I forgot.. for travel sickness you have to take it the night before travelling.

Aimsmum Fri 15-Jul-05 10:43:09

Message withdrawn

DEE747 Sat 23-Jul-05 15:31:58

Some chemists are a bit sniffy about giving you phenergan and whilst I have used it I think that it makes the kids feel terrible the next day. Phenergan can also make kids very hyperactive so be careful. Boots do excellent chewable travel sickness pills. Anyone travelling to the USA can pick up fabulous medicine in the supermarkets for this.

thirtysomething Tue 26-Jul-05 21:28:50

I would definitely do a trial run with phenergen before travelling to make sure it doesn't send him loopy - made the mistke of giving dd aged 4 this on a plane without ever having tested it out to try and make her have a nap as it was a very long flight and it made her crazy for about 2 hours - violent, restless, irrational, so I would be careful with this one. Have also tried joy rides and they have been fantastic so far, but then each child is different so you need to find the right medication. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now