Talk

Advanced search

On a two week holiday, how do you 'travel light'?

(12 Posts)
jodee Fri 01-Jul-05 20:33:38

I'm not so bad with clothes, I can quite happily double or triple up on the clothes-wearing and don't go on a mad spending spree beforehand, but I always seem to take a ton of toiletries/medicines/sewing kit/nail clippers, etc. for every eventuality for myself, dh and 5yo old ds.

Can you tell exactly *what I need* please!!!

sorrel Fri 01-Jul-05 20:51:52

buy mini toiletries and those little bottles- all available in Boots. Someone I knew worked for an airline and always said to bring clothes in just two colours so they were easy to mix and match. eg Black and white

zebraZ Fri 01-Jul-05 21:10:25

you don't need nail clippers!! Clip 'em before you go.

One bottle of combined shower gel/shampoo.
1 tiny sewing kit.
A small box of plasters with (ahem) tampons/birth control/a few Calpol sachets/some adult paracetomols in it.
toothpaste & brushes
1 short comb, 1 small brush if essential
1 small sunblock tube

I think that would do me.

Cha Sun 03-Jul-05 17:11:46

Do you take towels? If so, consider sarongs instead - they get you just as dry and get themselves dry in a jiffy. They also take up no space and can be scrunched down into corners.

lou33 Sun 03-Jul-05 17:16:48

put out everyting you think you will need then halve it, and it will be more than enough

Merlot Sun 03-Jul-05 17:17:49

Will be watching this with interest Sorry, not must use to you here jodee - I end up taking everything bar the kitchen sink .

That said, I guess if I were to add anything...it would be that you can buy more or less everything anywhere! So if you dont mind spending a little extra....take the bare minimum and if the odd eventuality does strike...buy it out there!

jodee Sun 03-Jul-05 23:11:14

Thanks all for the replies so far, I guess I just don't want to be 'caught short', I would want to take the whole medicine cabinet to cover all eventualities assomething is bound to happen when all the pharmacies are closed for siesta or something!
Cha, that's an interesting idea, thanks!

does anyone have any recommendations for a good shampoo/conditioner to deal with the effects of sun/chlorine/sea water?

SueW Sun 03-Jul-05 23:33:27

Sunscreen
One pair linen trousers (black)
One gypsy skirt (brown)
Four sarongs (various but with black or brown as base colour)
Half a dozen vest tops
Lightweight jersey
Lightweight jacket (wear for flight to cut down on luggage)
One pair sightseeing shoes
One pair beach shoes
Knickers
Bras
Shampoo/conditioner
Soap/body wash
Lip gloss
Hairbrush
Prescription goggles if you went to the trouble of buying them a few years ago.....
Ibuprofen - children and adults

Travel wash so you can do a small amount of handwashing each night if there aren't laundry facilities in your apartment/hotel/villa. Very easy to wash out that day's swimwear plus sarong when you're in the bathroom getting ready to go out for the evening. And dries overnight.

I'll quite happily take loads of clothes for DD because I won't do two people's washing whilst I'm away

expatinscotland Sun 03-Jul-05 23:53:20

I subscribe to the Fran Lebowitz philosophy whilst travelling: 'Bring everything and have someone else carry it.'

SueW Mon 04-Jul-05 00:15:10

LOL.

My ability to pack light comes from travelling longhaul with an under 1yo and no-one to help carry. So never take more than you can carry and when 5-10kg is your child....

Luggage for DD (8yo) and me for a week in Ibiza in May weighed in at 9.7kg, including suitcase. I'm the kind of person in the queue you want to make friends with when you know you're going to be over your allowance

jodee Mon 04-Jul-05 00:18:16

Thanks sueW!

RTKangaMummy Mon 04-Jul-05 00:22:17

no nail clippers or scissors or nail files in habd luggage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now