Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

tips for train travel with a 1 yr old please

(9 Posts)
beansmum Fri 01-Jul-05 16:34:51

I'm travelling down to see my sister next week, it'll be 7 hrs on the train, just me and the bean.

I think I must be a wee bit mad, but does anyone have any suggestions that might make it a bit less horrific?

cupcakes Fri 01-Jul-05 16:38:56

If the disabled space is empty I would try and get that (obviously anyone in a wheelchair gets priority) and you could then strap him into his pushchair.
Other than that lots of books and snacks!

beansmum Fri 01-Jul-05 16:41:38

i've bought two tickets, so he'll have his own seat, but I'm not sure how I can attach him to it. Wuld it be worth getting some kind of booster seat? not that I'll be able to carry any more luggage, I think this was a really bad idea!

spots Fri 01-Jul-05 16:51:57

I always take a lidded box of mixed up raisins, rice krispies, things like that... with maybe a few bits of dry pasta thrown in ttoo. Takes dd ages using her little fingers to pick everything out and work out what she wants to snack on. and put everythi ng in the lid, put the llid on, rattle the box loudly... etc.

always foster a few train friends too. sit next to kind looking grandparenty people if at all possible!

Jojo12 Sat 02-Jul-05 00:09:29

Around that age my son had a great time on a long train journey messing about with the junk inserts inside my magazine. We made boats, hats, fans, paper dolly chains... it kept him occupied for ages and I managed to read my mag too! A couple of crayons and a few sheets of paper were good too. Good luck!

Libb Sat 02-Jul-05 00:14:27

We have always taken the travel system on trains but DS is now too big - he just having cuddles, playing "push Mummy's face away" and shouting HAHAHA at complete strangers - I always have a toy or two to jangle about.

Fran1 Sat 02-Jul-05 00:38:02

Pack some goodies to eat and drink. Some books and a couple of new toys (of the small variety of course!)

You'll be fine. You can watch out the window together and talk for hours about all the things you see. Then you can go for a walk to the toilets just for fun! Then you can eat and drink. Then read a book and phew bean might fall asleep and you can sit there with matchsticks in your eyes wishing you could nap too but to scared to close your eyes for a minute. Then bean will wake and you can look out the window some more, then a hairy chinned granny will walk by and spend some minutes talking to your bean who will slowly dig his nails harder and harder to your arms until the granny disappears. Then he'll want to go and investigate and so its another walk to the toilets and maybe the buffet cart if there is one? ......and it goes on and on until you arrive at the stop and see your sister waving madly and you hand over bean and go have a nap.

I've been there, it'll be fine i promise

spots Sat 02-Jul-05 09:47:01

and don't worry about the strapping him into seat business. If you're at a table wiith tolerant fellow passengers then the table is the best seating place, with lots of space around him to have toys etc. within reach. Your extra seat will be good for storage but he'll prob. spend most of the time on your knee! Hope it goes well.

roisin Sat 02-Jul-05 10:01:55

I've always travelled loads on trains, including with two under two! Generally I've found fellow passengers to be very tolerant and helpful. If anyone asks if they can help, have a suggestion ready, e.g:
I'm getting off at York, could you help me with the bags please?
Or yes please, I would love a coffee. Could you get me one next time you're going to the buffet car?
Or I need to pop to the loo, could you keep an eye on my bags?

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now