Talk

Advanced search

What should I do in Edinburgh/Glasgow this weekend ?

(15 Posts)
bensmum3 Wed 29-Jun-05 12:22:36

Hi,
Iam looking for ideas of nice things to do with my just 2 yr and 7 yr old boys this weekend, We are staying near Lauder, so I think both Edinburgh and Glasgow will be near enough. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any ideas please?

fairyfly Wed 29-Jun-05 12:23:12

Stab my x?

pesme Wed 29-Jun-05 12:30:22

the g8 is kicking off this weekend so edinburgh has a make poverty history march and there are lots of events in the meadows. but it might be very full on and transport might be difficult.

bensmum3 Wed 29-Jun-05 12:51:25

fairyfly, Maybe ds1 could bring his archery set only the rubber suckers might upset your x..
Think I'll try and find out more about the events in the meadow, might be fun.

tassis Wed 29-Jun-05 13:02:00

Transport museum and science centre in Glasgow?

You might want to avoid Edinburgh unless you're marching with the MPH protest.

squigglesmum Wed 29-Jun-05 13:06:19

The Transport museum is free, and good, though not as child friendly as I'd hoped (changing facilities etc). The science centre is brilliant, but a bit more expensive, but there's so much to do there, you can easily stay all day, so go early.

hannahsaunt Wed 29-Jun-05 14:06:50

Come to Edinburgh and join in! Childrens zone is on the Meadows - sounds a bit like what goes on in the festival - face painting, balloons, banner making, giant mural painting, jugglers, circus skills etc. Rally/march is phased with climax at 3 with 1 min silence then as much noise as everyone can make. All for a good cause...

bensmum3 Wed 29-Jun-05 21:07:07

hannahsaunt, can you tell me where to find out more, everyone here is saying to avoid going to Edinburgh as it will be so busy.

Miaou Wed 29-Jun-05 21:20:14

Quick hijack - hiya bensmum, when are you going past FW? Shall we meet for me to collect the nappies from you? And do you want to stay over tomorrow night?

Questions, questions...

hannahsaunt Wed 29-Jun-05 23:25:48

Hi Bensmum - Edinburgh will be great and can't honestly envisage it being worse than the Festival (and probably better managed/controlled) (am born and bred Edinburgh). Look here for more info. We are taking our 2 boys (2 and 4) - lots of stuff for small ones. Please join in!

jessicasmummy Wed 29-Jun-05 23:26:29

shop til u drop

bensmum3 Thu 30-Jun-05 01:55:36

Miaou, sorry, been meaning to ring, but had music on sat, church sun, bens party mon, school sports tues, eds party tonight, only just finished, well almost, packing, not sure where we're staying tomorrow, but will try and ring when we reach the mainland, are you in FW tomorrow for after school things anyway ?

nailpolish Thu 30-Jun-05 07:35:39

bensmum, my dh works in edinburgh and he has had to take a holiday from tomorrow for a whole week cos of the G8 and the travel problems that are anticipated. he works for the university and it was official advice (or so he says, he may just be making it sound dramatic for me!) that they gave out for commuters to edinburgh (he travels from angus)

just a word of warning, you dont want to get stuck in traffic, sorry if its wrecked your plans

saying that, it might be ok, maybe they are thinking worst case scenario

unless of course, you are thinking of joining in!

Miaou Thu 30-Jun-05 08:27:51

Hi bensmum, I'm in FW this morning but not after school, but can easily meet you across from Corran Ferry. Ring me on my mobile - you are welcome to stay!

Skribble Fri 01-Jul-05 02:05:54

Lauder is 28 miles from Edinburgh and 69 miles from Glasgow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now