Talk

Advanced search

What to take on transatlantic flight with 18mo?

(26 Posts)
franch Tue 28-Jun-05 14:36:25

If I take everything I might need I'll end up packing several extra suitcases - so what are the essentials for the flight? (Daytime on the way there, night on the way back - 8.5h flight.)

DH will be with me but I'll be 33w pg so not much use

Chandra Tue 28-Jun-05 14:50:52

Nappies for the flight and any delay, snacks that don't get your child dirty like fruit and biscuits but no chocolate. A change of clothes for you and another one for you (yep, you may need it, either they get sick or they empty a glass of juice on you), a bag with many little and silent toys, preferably of the kind that won't roll under your sit never to be seen again. All the medicines that you may need for your trip, a big bottle of water (for some strange reason water in airplanes is always very cold and comes in ridiculously small plastic glases). If I travel overnight I used to pack the grobag as it would set DS in night time mood (now that he's a party animal it doesn't work!)

IlanaK Tue 28-Jun-05 14:51:19

Ear plugs?? SOrry, just couldn't resist! We flew with my ds1 to Miama at about that age. I seem to remember we followed advice to pack lots of new toys and wrap them like presents and take out one new one each hour. I think we picked out some of his favourite small toys (Nothing with small easily lost bits) and took them out of circulation for the few weeks before so they would seem like new again to him. We also pack lots of his favourite snacks. He was very food motivated so we knew that would keep him quiet. We had a seat for him which also helped of course.

zubb Tue 28-Jun-05 14:51:20

not sure really but would think -

change of clothes / pjyamas for the way back
nappies & wipes
snacks
toys / books
paper and crayons

Do they give you a childrens pack on the plane?

and hope she sleeps a lot!

Chandra Tue 28-Jun-05 14:52:31

Sorry, one change for the baby, one for you and don't forget to check that food for toddlers is provided as most airlines don't serve food to toddlers (not even the one they serve to the rest of the passengers) and you may need to pack your own.

franch Tue 28-Jun-05 15:50:06

Thanks all - great lists. I'd better hide those favourite toys around now then Ilana We have booked a seat for DD which means she does get meals but we will also take stuff for her. Wish me luck ...

Chandra Tue 28-Jun-05 15:52:40

Nope. having a seat doesn't guarantee a toddler meal, most companies just don't cater for toddlers (I was told at the check in point so you can imagine me rushing through the airport trying to find something suitable before departure), though you can always share your own meal with toddler.

franch Tue 28-Jun-05 18:08:58

Do you mean a seat doesn't guarantee "toddler food", or that they would propose to give her nothing at all?

franch Tue 28-Jun-05 18:09:25

And which airline was that Chandra??

franch Tue 28-Jun-05 18:10:46

We're flying British Airways and have already gone into 'manage your booking' online and selected a veggie meal for DD

Chandra Tue 28-Jun-05 20:01:07

It was in American, but is worth checking by phone, I also selected a children meal at their web site and was told at the check in that as he was under 2 they would not provide any food even when I had it selected from the web site. I believe BA does provide toddler food but is worth checking anyway.

franch Tue 28-Jun-05 21:38:16

That's shocking Chandra!

franch Thu 30-Jun-05 20:22:20

Those of you who pack a bag of 'surprises' for your little one: do you keep it all hidden while you're away, then hope that the stuff will still be a surprise all over again on the return flight, or do you pack two bags of surprises??? I know the return is overnight, but I'm planning for the worst ...

franch Fri 01-Jul-05 13:41:43

bump

koalabear Fri 01-Jul-05 13:44:17

same bag - hide - 18 months old will be surprised all over again

purpleturtle Fri 01-Jul-05 13:47:15

Stickers and a small sticker book. And more stickers.

We came back from USA last week - the kids (4 & 2) had schlepped their LeapPads in backpacks, and barely opened them in a fortnight. Not at all on the plane. They did get a little use in the airports during delays . But tbh colouring would have been fine even then.

We flew US Airways, which wasn't a fantastic experience overall, but did mean the kids had individual tv screens on which they could watch a Nick Jr selection. They got a mysterious (by which I mean unidentifiable) children's meal featuring baked beans.

Both of mine were extremely well-behaved, by some miracle, and made me a very proud mummy! One week on, they have woken before us for the first time since we got back! And we've had some late evenings this week too. be prepared for that!

franch Fri 01-Jul-05 13:50:01

Thanks!

SoupDragon Fri 01-Jul-05 14:07:34

I keep seeing this thread title and I keep thinking "valium and alcohol".

franch Fri 01-Jul-05 14:59:01

Oh Soupy, don't!!!

ediemay Fri 01-Jul-05 15:15:34

I took DS to Sydney at 19m and he's travelled far & wide since. It's not that bad - take favourite books and toys as suggested. Take some sachet Calpol in case of toothache etc. I usually take a few toys which will stick onto the table and one of those inflatable pillows - if they do fall asleep it's usually in a weird position and this helps to prop them up.

Best airlines for children I think are Singapore, Thai, Qantas and Emirates. Worst by far is BA.

franch Fri 01-Jul-05 15:40:29

Noooooooo ediemay we're going BA

SoupDragon Fri 01-Jul-05 15:40:29

I hate to say it but the worst flight we've had with DSs was to Florida when DS2 was 18 months. With hindsight, we should have booked him a seat.

franch Fri 01-Jul-05 15:41:26

We have booked DD a seat, at least - I'll be 33w pg so having her on my lap was NOT an option

SoupDragon Fri 01-Jul-05 16:33:07

Would have been entertaining to see though

I'm trying to remember what was so bad... I think it was the fact that he wanted to be up and about all the time. Being confined to a seat wasn't his idea of fun. Before that he'd been happy sitting in a sky cot flirting with the passengers behind and after that he was happy to watch the inflight entertainment for about 90% of the flight.

I think your DH should be prepared for lots of walking up and down the plane during the flight.

SoupDragon Fri 01-Jul-05 16:33:56

"that" being the flights we'd done before and after at 7 months and 2.5yrs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now