am I mad?

hana Mon 27-Jun-05 19:42:51

i don't think so ....am doing same thing in August
how long is your flight?

hana Mon 27-Jun-05 19:43:23

actually mine will be nearly 9 months and nearly 4

hunkermunker Mon 27-Jun-05 19:43:38

Lordy! Yes.

Spain to England? Not far, console yourself with that.

Or leave them with the stewardesses and get drunk

SenoraPostrophe Mon 27-Jun-05 19:44:16

3 hours.

I'm particularly worried about the steps off the plane, and the fact that ds (18months) is restless to say the least.

where are you off to then?

hana Mon 27-Jun-05 19:45:42

Canada and back
oh oh oh
abou 7 hours direct

CountessDracula Mon 27-Jun-05 19:47:17

Senora, my mum took me aged 3 and my brother aged 1 to Australia on her own in the days when it took 48 hours via the states!

Luckily I was taken over by some Hare Krishnas and they entertained me and fed me mars bars for most of the flight.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 27-Jun-05 19:47:53

hana - you see, I'd be happier if he was 9 months - less mobile. I bet he can climb over the seats.

yes Spain to UK. Have been thinking about paying for someone to fly over and back with me, but if i don't do that i can afford a hiore car for the whole time we're away (the height of luxury).

SenoraPostrophe Mon 27-Jun-05 19:48:55

OK Australia would be worse.

I don't suppose any of you lot will be flying from anywhere in Andalucia to UK at the end of July?

SenoraPostrophe Mon 27-Jun-05 19:49:31

in fact does anyone fancy a few days at our house??

SenoraPostrophe Mon 27-Jun-05 19:50:11

at "taken over by hare krishnas". Have you recovered?

SenoraPostrophe Mon 27-Jun-05 19:54:15

and is there a record for the number of posts by one person without interruption?

hana Mon 27-Jun-05 20:01:38

haha
was interrupted by said 9 month old crying ( still crying) she is crawling now so am scared about her cooped up on plane, don't have the skycot thingy as it's a charter flight. dh is joining us, trying to change his flight so he at least either flies out or returns with us!!
buyan 18 month old
drugs?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 20:02:52

hana, which bits of Canada are you going to? And when?

(We're doing BA LHR->Montreal on July 30th, and YYZ->LHR on August 23rd or something.)

I'm flying with an 11-month-old, and a 3.11. And a DH, thank goodness.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 20:03:51

I've flown with a crawling child before, but it was just to Cyprus. We'd just go up and down the aisles.

The worst bit for flying, in my experience, is from when they start crawling to somewhere after 2, when they'll sit still and watch telly.

weesaidie Mon 27-Jun-05 20:05:27

Hello

I am in a similar boat and really not looking forward to it!

Am taking dd (15 months) to France and 2 weeks and have a 5 hour train journey to London and then 2/3 hour flight to France the next day...

What am I going to do with her?? All she will want to do is run up and down the isles grabbing things, usually other peoples and probably crying when I don't let her!

hana Mon 27-Jun-05 20:05:32

Halifax for August and part of Sept
can't wait!
except for the flying part there natch. my family are all over there, they haven't met dd2 yet! well, parents did but no one else. They are most excited (strangely enough) about dd1's accent and people listening to her talk!! I do wonder sometimes just how I ended up with a daugher that has this Enlish accent!

hana Mon 27-Jun-05 20:07:33

nqc - Montreal in the summer, v v nice! When is the Jazz festival?

weesaidie - they will probably charm the pants off the passengers near you, or try to! That's usually good for about 20 min or so

SenoraPostrophe Mon 27-Jun-05 20:08:36

weesaidie - I travelled alone with dd when she was 15 months. the trick is to sit in an aisle seat and near some likely looking 6-12 yr olds. Some 11 yr old twin boys entertained dd for the whole trip.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 20:08:57

Oh, trains are better, as the aisles are better. Wandering up and down is fine, you find friendly people who are bored, and have a fine old time. My DS1 is rampantly sociable, so we wander aisles a lot.

Halifax, eh? You must get some very confused reactions from Brits when you explain where you're from, nobody here has even heard of Halifax! They always say "oh, I've been to Canada", or "I'm thinking of going to Canada", and it's almost always BC. What is up with that?

We had a lovely holiday in NS a few years back, and I have relatives there, but I've never actually been to Halifax. No idea why.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 20:09:40

Hmm, I think we miss the Jazz fest. I'm going to see friends, and eat well, I love Montreal. Lived there for yonks. It's so cheap and lovely.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 20:10:25

hana, does the charter flight you're on let you reserve bulkhead seats coz you have kids? Hopefully that way, all the mad midgets end up together ...

bosscat Mon 27-Jun-05 20:11:15

Oh god I would just not do it by myself. We have just come back from Southern Spain and had the most horrendous experience. In fact I was going to do a thread warning people about the airline. Astraeus. TERRIBLE. My 3 year old got travel sick and vomited everywhere. The air hostesses were cows and just threw a pack at me and were never seen again. Requests for blankets and another drink were just ignored. My 11 month old cried the whole way as his ears hurt despite Calpol. Nightmare. The people in front stood up at the end and gave us real "you are a disgrace" looks. I was really upset and my DH was with me so there is no way I could have done it by myself. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU ARE NOT WITH THIS AIRLINE!!

hana Mon 27-Jun-05 20:11:57

yes - no one knows Halifax. I sometimes use the Anne of Green Gables connection too, but I get even stranger looks if they've never read or heard of the books! I sometimes resort to saying ' Halifax - that's where all the dead were taken when the Titanic went down' but that\s a bit grim. We had a real heyday when the movie came out, lots of Japanese tourists coming to leave flowers at Jack's grave.
Funnily enough - was at a friend's place last week and her inlaws were visiting - did the 'where are you from' bit and they had vacationed in NS and PEI last summer!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 20:14:07

I keep telling Brits to try Eastern Canada, it's cheap, it's lovely, and it's close by (relatively).

We spent our holiday in Cape Breton National Park, and I lived on crabs and wild blueberries. It was great! And we saw moose!

Halifax sounds nice, one of my exes was from there, and he seemed slightly homesick sometimes, even in lovely Montreal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now