Talk

Advanced search

JAVEA, SPAIN. Should we fly to Alicante or Valencia?

(14 Posts)
beatie Mon 27-Jun-05 08:25:02

Javea appears to be 100km from both of these cities. Anyone have a preference over where we should fly to? We'll be hiring cars and then driving to Javea. Does either route have better roads?

zubb Mon 27-Jun-05 08:56:53

I've done it from both, and they are easy enough - you get on the main highway quite quickly. I think it's a bit quicker from Valencia, but I'd go for whichever you can get the cheapest flights from.

beatie Mon 27-Jun-05 12:04:16

Thanks.

zubb Mon 27-Jun-05 12:06:41

when are you going? have a great time!

beatie Mon 27-Jun-05 12:39:46

Not until next summer - 2006. It's a family holiday with my parents and brothers family. The villa is booked but we'll be looking to book flights within the next couple of months. I'm just forward planning since there will be no foreign holiday this summer (29 weeks pregnant now)

You're 30 weeks aren't you? Are you going away this summer? In the UK?

zubb Mon 27-Jun-05 12:44:57

Thought it might be a last minute booking!
We were going to Ireland for a walking / cycling type holiday - then found out I would be 8 months pregnant and it didn't seem so appealing so we cancelled it.
Will just do day trips now. Last time I was in Javea we flew into Valencia, and its a very easy journey in - you don't go through the city at all, its all motorways until you come off for Javea. Can't remember the Alicante route so much, but it's pretty simple as well.
Valencia is a nice city to visit if you want a change while you are out there.

Mo2 Mon 27-Jun-05 13:02:47

Hey Beatie - we're going to Javea this August - flying into Alicante (it was cheaper).

Do you know it - we haven't been before, but have found a lovely villa!

beatie Mon 27-Jun-05 13:22:29

Next year will be my first visit to Javea. It looks wonderful though. Be sure to tell me all about it when you return.

gingerbear Mon 27-Jun-05 13:26:45

Been to Javea from Alicante, and just returned from Denia/Oliva via Valencia.

The Autopista A7 (toll motorway) and N322 (nacional - non toll) run parallel to each other all along the coast. Both airports are easy journeys. (Toll not expensive, but you need to take a ticket on entry to the motorway and remember to take Euros to pay!!)

Valencia was 1 hour journey, and Alicante about 1 hour too.

gingerbear Mon 27-Jun-05 13:28:58

Valencia is a smaller airport and less hassle than Alicante IIRC.

Be sure to take time to travel up to Calpe and Altea - lovely places, and Oliva is a lovely Spanish resort with a fab beach (better than Arenal in Javea IMHO)

Mo2 Mon 27-Jun-05 13:33:26

Here's where we're staying - the DSs are getting SO excited about having our own pool for 2 weeks !

here

gingerbear Mon 27-Jun-05 13:55:41

Mo, that place looks awful what a dump......

Mo2 Mon 27-Jun-05 15:55:50

Sorry - wasn't trying to brag or anything - am just quite excited, because we've been sorting it all out in the last few days, and now it seems quite near...

You're right - complete DUMP - can't think why we booked it

gingerbear Mon 27-Jun-05 16:17:22

I love the freedom of booking flights/villa/car hire rather than a hotel package. Still a bit of a gamble if you haven't been before, but Javea is nice, if a bit crowded with leathery tanned expats. There is no tack like Benidorm and the paseo along Arenal beach is full of nice bars and restaurants and a craft market at night.
Javea town is lovely too and the market is good for self-caterers. The place you have booked is a drive away from the main town and beach, but in a lovely quiet area as I recall with fab views over Javea bay.

Oh and it is pronounced 'Habeeya' btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now