Talk

Advanced search

Tips on flying to the US with a 2 year old!

(3 Posts)
gemmamay Fri 24-Jun-05 22:42:24

Hi, Just booked flights to New York for a weeks holiday visiting family but this is first long haul flight and first when dd is in own seat (just turning 2!)

I have a slight panic building as I need tips on entertaining her in such a small space for such a long time! We ahve flown with her before but only to Europe so a much shorter time.

Are we mad!

stripey Fri 24-Jun-05 23:02:55

One tip would be to take pullups instead of nappies (if she needs them) as the toilets are so small. If you are leaving in the evening maybe get some drousy medicine and she may sleep all of the way.

Other things that may help, small snacks eg raising. Colouring pens, stickers, drinks etc.

Good luck. We are taking 2 lively boys to Australia at Christmas I don't even want to think about the flight.

MeerkatsUnite Sat 25-Jun-05 06:54:55

Hi,

Be prepared to walk about a bit, they seem to like walking up and down the plane aisle's at this age.

Would suggest also you take along all her favorite foodstuffs and drink for the journey. Food for children does not arrive much earlier than the meals for adults.

Do not take anything too small for her to play with; if you drop it it will be very difficult to find it again.

Chnage her nappy/pullup say 30 minutes or so before you board the plane. Often families with small children are given priority boarding - take advantage of this!. If a pushchair is used, you can take this up to the aircraft gate whereupon it will be taggged and placed in the hold.

Complete the visa waiver forms (all members of your party will need to have a completed form, you as the parent will sign and complete your DD's one) and the customs form well ahead of arrival!.

Set your watch to NYC time on the plane; try to keep her to her usual routine.

HTH and have a great time in the US

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now