Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ruda holiday park, devon

(15 Posts)
nutcracker Thu 23-Jun-05 18:20:56

Anyone been ???

A friend has reccomended it to me, but I wanted to know if anyone else had been and what they thought.

Am thinking of booking for next year as the deposit is only £50 and it will give us time to save for it.

jayzmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 18:36:17

I live just around the corner from Ruda....what do you want to know?

nutcracker Thu 23-Jun-05 18:39:33

Basically if the park was nice, plenty for kids to do etc. Also what there was for kids to do in the area.

koo Thu 23-Jun-05 18:45:50

Message withdrawn

nutcracker Thu 23-Jun-05 18:48:42

Ahh right, thanks for that. Will have to investigate a bit more i think.

Would be booking through Hoseasons so will see whatelse they have around that area when the vrochure arrives.

Roobie Thu 23-Jun-05 18:55:35

Funnily enough we were there last weekend camping with a group of friends and all our kids! It's great! It is 5 mins to the gorgeous beach (great for surfing and body boarding) and there are various surf schools and other beach type activities you can book. Croyde itself is minutes away with its lovely shops and family friendly pubs (particularly like Billy Budds with it's great garden with loads of play equipment). Presumably you know what facilities the park has from the website - I would say the park is pretty good, great location and generally attractive and I would be happy to spend longer than a weekend there. We were camping so obviously were using the communal showers and loos which were as you would expect really (flip flops essential in the shower!).

I don't know the area that well although I know Woolacombe and Ilframcombe are nearby and they are the quintessential Devon holiday resorts so I would imagine all the usual kids activities are available.

jayzmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 19:05:48

The park is OK. Very clean and well stocked with loads to do. There is an on site family clubhouse for evening entertainment. Plenty of kids activities organised by the team of entertainers..kids disco's, competitions etc.

There are a couple of large outside activity centres...climbing frames, swings,monkey bars etc. A couple of bouncy castles and loads of free space to run around.

The pool, Cascades, is excellent. It has a wave machine, slide, smaller toddler pool, jacuzzi BUT it gets very busy in there...so early morning or tea time is best.

There are pedal operated carts that the holiday makers hire out to pedal around the village in....good fun but a real PITA when your running late and get stuck behind one!!!

Its about a two minute walk from he beach which is fabulous. Ruda end of the beach gets very busy...they have fair rides situated there...much to the annoyance of us locals...but hey thats where our income comes from so we have to put up with it for a few weeks of the year!

Half way down the beach there are volleyball nets and a sand football pitch.
The best part of the beach is the other side...Down End...not so busy and no fair rides!!!

Croyde beach is policed by life guards and is safe for kiddies so long as they stay between the flags....wander out of the swimming area and your likely to get smaked on the head by a surfboard!!!

Croyde village is very pretty. Lots of lovely thatched cottages, post office, village store....which is soooooo expensive during holiday time...three pubs all with excellent menus. Billy Buds and The Manor have childrens play areas and are very child friendly....The Thatch sells the best food but is more for the surfer types with older children (thats my local!!!)There are a couple of ice cream parlours, tea rooms and three surf shops.

Best beach is Putsbourough....very very child friendly and very safe. Two minute drive from Ruda..£5 to park your car...so a week pass might work out cheaper if you plan to beach it everyday. There are loos, coffee bar, beach shop and showers.

The other end of Putsbourough is Woolacoombe. Lots of shops, bars and retaurants. Ice cream parlours, typical candy floss holiday shops. Pitch and putt and donkey rides.

Braunton is the nearest main village, about 4 miles away. Banks, supermarket, doctors, chemist and a hundred and one surf shops!!!

There are loads of places to go. Theme parks...The Big Sheep is definately one to try. Widemouth casle is great for the day out and Once upon a Time at Woolacombe is a nursery ryhme village ideal for toddlers and the under 5's.

Barnstaple is the main town and is a typical farming town. Lots of high street shops mixed together with some real old farming stores.

I you are thinking of staying at Ruda, the wooden chalets are wonderful and in a much nicer setting than the caravan park.

Anything else...just ask away.

Check out the prices at Croyde Bay Holidays...its the opposite side of the beach to Ruda and is just as nice....but cheaper and you can still use the facilities at Ruda!!!

jayzmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 19:07:41

Roobie...were you at the festival????

koo Thu 23-Jun-05 19:11:58

Message withdrawn

jayzmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 19:14:44

Koo....shhhhh....I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Festival was wicked...ace time had by all. My best mates kids played on saturday night and had everyone skatting...it was awesome.

jayzmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 19:15:37

I take it you mean "crook stores" Daphne?????

koo Thu 23-Jun-05 19:19:38

Message withdrawn

jayzmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 19:28:04

We actually live just outside Croyde....not to far from Georgeham, in a very small hamlet which is even more affluent than Croyde.

Thing is we are just run of the mill people and dont fit in at all. My neighbours consist of a make up artist who jetted of last weekend to Barbados for a film shoot, some big wig who works for Granada TV, some bloke who lives in Washington DC and is high up in The Discovery Chanel and a couple of Lords too...then theres me....the screaming banshee!!!!

My hubby was concieved and born in this house...and we inherited it when his grampy died. Its sad really because he is the only true local here now.

So yes we are lucky to live were we do but as for the neighbours well they really are not my cup of tea!!!!

koo Thu 23-Jun-05 19:44:43

Message withdrawn

jayzmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 19:53:10

The house we use to live in when I first moved here has sold for half a million.9we rented it for £20 per week!!!) Its directly opposite the house we live in now. The guy who has bought it last weekend bought the house behind ours for £600K+....its for his daughter to use when she comes down from London to stay for the weekend!WTF is wrong with her using one of the bedrooms in his house?????

This guy was complaining to our other neighbour about how quiet it is here....ummmmm DONT move to the country if you want quiet!!!!

Its sad that the locals cant buy houses in the villages they have grown up in....we were just very lucky that grampy left us this house...or else we would still be living in Braunton in our very little two up two down!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now