Talk

Advanced search

Would it be frowned upon to use bin bags for kids clothes rather than a suitcase?

(28 Posts)
pepsi Thu 23-Jun-05 12:36:05

We are off on our hols next week to Cornwall to quite an upmarket hotel for families.....you have to dress smart for dinner that type of thing. Anyway Im being really organised and am sorting out the childrens clothes (5 and 3) to see if I need to buy anything. Ive got it all done and have put each set of clothes into a bin bag so their stuff is all ready. It then occured to me that we could just as easily stick 2 bin bags in the boot as opposed to putting it in a case. Our cases are massive and those plastic samsonite type. They are very sturdy but very heavy and althogh we have an estate they do fill up the boot. I thought that we could put our stuff in one case. It doesnt really matter if kids stuff gets a bit creased because it looks okay on them if you know that I mean. We went to this Hotel last year so I know that we wont have to take our bags through reception or anything and have the rest of the guests think that the clampits have turned up. Last year when we were there it was like a Boden fashion show. Will Boden shoppers put up with this sort of appauling behaviour? (by the way I am also a boden shopper).

noddyholder Thu 23-Jun-05 12:39:32

I'm sure it would be fine.Who will see them other than yourselves?

soapbox Thu 23-Jun-05 12:40:26

Hmmm! I wouldn't but I'm probably a fusspot about these kind of things

(Shudder at the thought of walking through the hotel with a couple of bin bags hanging off me)

KBear Thu 23-Jun-05 12:43:09

Why not buy a couple of holdalls instead - I wouldn't do the bin bag thing myself and they aren't particular strong anyway.

smellymelly Thu 23-Jun-05 12:43:28

If no-one else will see them, then who cares, do what is easiest for you. You should of seen the crap we took to France in the back of our 'bus' - dd1's toilet seat was right up against the back window all the way home!!

pepsi Thu 23-Jun-05 12:43:39

Yes, I know, I dont think I would be brave enough if I knew I would be spotted, but the other part of me says we are paying an absolute fortune to go here so I can do what I like. Our room isnt even in the main hotel ........I guess we could even arrive under the cover of darkness to avoid being outcasts for the whole holiday.

crunchie Thu 23-Jun-05 12:43:52

I wouldn't personally, but I am sure dh would think I was being a snob for caring

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 12:44:06

When I first saw this I thought No!!!

But when I read that you will not have to take them through reception etc I thought Why not?

Yes go for it, perhaps get some huge carrier bags to put the bin bags in if you like.

EnidHobblingLikeAnOldWoman Thu 23-Jun-05 12:45:49

no I wouldnt do it - what if they rip? Would rather have cheapy placcy holdall things.

lemonice Thu 23-Jun-05 12:47:17

You clearly need help How to Pack a Toddler's Suitcase not a bin bag insight

pepsi Thu 23-Jun-05 12:47:44

Ah I thought of that, I was going to use two bags for each lot..double strength. Holdalls a good idea. Last year are car was so jam packed and thats with a box on top, although at least this year we are not taking the buggy. Our 3 year old ds is in for quite a shock!

littleshebear Thu 23-Jun-05 14:30:42

Why don't you get a couple of those zipped checked bags designed for laundry? They are massive and very cheap -about 99p from cheapie shops - only a step up from the bin bag but we've used them for packing kids' clothes.

bossykate Thu 23-Jun-05 14:37:43

i wouldn't do it - but i will hold my hands up and freely admit it would be because i am a snob about such things.

pepsi Thu 23-Jun-05 14:39:40

I think the general opinion is that I shouldnt use bin bags so shall just go for the old suitcase. Im half snob half tramp so Im really on the fence here.

motherinferior Thu 23-Jun-05 15:10:05

Think we've packed binbags before.

Which will probably be enough to put you off

noddyholder Thu 23-Jun-05 15:18:27

think the laundry bags look worse would go with the tramp chic bin bag What does it matter what others think?

frogs Thu 23-Jun-05 15:20:43

More practical than bin bags, but still failing the snob test, are those big checked laundry bags. I use them for taking wetsuits and spare clothes to the beach in summer, but also sometimes use them as luggage , as it's so easy to just chuck everything in. They keep their shape quite well, so everything doesn't get as crumpled as it would in a binbag. Plus they're longer-lasting and have proper handles.

DissLocated Thu 23-Jun-05 15:21:10

Think I'd take the bags just to annoy the snobs, might also make up t-shirts with 'Team Clampit' on them!

Nightynight Thu 23-Jun-05 23:36:38

Do it if you cant afford suitcases, but hold onto them for dear life in case some helpful person puts them in the bin for you!

handlemecarefully Thu 23-Jun-05 23:43:52

Take the bin bags. Tbh other guests just won't be interested!

moondog Thu 23-Jun-05 23:49:13

ROFL!
Is it Fowey Hall by any chance?
I went there last year (also in top to toe Boden).
They were charming.
I'd do the binbag thing if only for a laugh.
Expensive luggage is so naff....

redsky Thu 23-Jun-05 23:59:17

Sounds like the kind of thing I would do but dh would be appalled!!! I no longer fold clothes in suitcases. I just pull the stuff on hangers out of the wardrobe and fold it all in half in one big wodge in the suitcase - easy, peasy - and also quick to unpack at the hotel. I've got my packing routine down to 30 minutes max.

ps I am a recent boden convert!

moondog Fri 24-Jun-05 00:02:54

Actually my dh won't let me pack. Says I'm careless and messy and only he can be trusted. Suits me....

Tortington Fri 24-Jun-05 00:46:55

i put weekend clothes in what i thought was a posh carrier bag ( as posh carrier bags go) for a conference with work. my manager hasn't ever let me live it down with " remember that time you walked in with that carrier bag...." i just didn't see the point in buying a small case especially

jampots Fri 24-Jun-05 00:50:37

personally would buy each of them a small pull along trolley case (only about £10 from Tesco) and then one between you and dh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now