Talk

Advanced search

Help... need a good Hotel in Dublin?

(24 Posts)
celtic66 Tue 21-Jun-05 17:49:50

Any one any ideas I need to book it asap. I am looking for a good hotel very central and reasonably priced

Any recommendations please?

BadHair Tue 21-Jun-05 18:13:43

I've stayed in the merrion , very expensive (paid for by ex-work), and in a hostel in Fishermans Wharf that was very cheap, very clean and very recommendable.
Can heartily recommend both, but if your budget is anything like mine, the Merrion may well bust it!
Will search details for the hostel for you as it really was nice - lovely double bed and although not ensuite the shower and bathrooms were clean and private.

hermykne Tue 21-Jun-05 18:17:31

bewleys in balls bridge (southside) is reasonable and near the swanky four seasons hotel for drinks, quick bus ride into town centre

jurys at christchurch in the city centre is also reasonable

Whizzz Tue 21-Jun-05 18:23:15

We stayed in Dublin for part of our honeymoon. We booked the Temple Bar hotel but when we got there, they had double booked us . Boy was the manager grovelling when we happened to mention it was our honeymoon !!
We were transferred to another hotel which must have changed its name as I've googled & can't find it. I thought it was called The Royal something. We did go back to Temple Bar for a free meal & they did give us free champers & arranged an upgrade in the other hotel !

2kidsandahubby Tue 21-Jun-05 18:23:35

Apparantly The Regency is good, my aunts stay there when they visit, we stay in The Four Seasons excellent service, but very expensive!!

celtic66 Tue 21-Jun-05 18:46:24

Thanks for suggestions - Temple bar is booked but there is the Paramount Hotel and the Alexander Hotel if anyones stayed there?

hermykne Tue 21-Jun-05 18:48:33

alexander is pretty close to merrion sq and grafton st, never been in it.

never heard of the paramount

mishmash Tue 21-Jun-05 18:50:23

We love the Conrad - just at the top of St. Stephens Green

mishmash Tue 21-Jun-05 18:52:27

Now that is very central but you pay for the location - if you don't mind being a little further away there are loads in Ballsbridge - Jury's, The Burlington, The Berkley Court, Bewleys and if you really want to push the boat out THE FOUR SEASONS.

mishmash Tue 21-Jun-05 18:53:07

Bewleys is €99 per room per night

whatsaregular Tue 21-Jun-05 18:55:45

think you are thinking about the Parliament on Parliament street. Its in Temple Bar. Very reasonably priced and a nice hotel to boot. Was done up in the last 3\4 years. Be prepared for noise though if you are in the front part of the hotel. If you do book it ask for a back room. Would recommend.

WideWebWitch Tue 21-Jun-05 20:11:49

The Clarence?

Millie1 Tue 21-Jun-05 20:16:19

Might be a bit more expensive but sometimes you can get good deals ... the Westbury - literally just off Grafton St and really nice.

whatsaregular Tue 21-Jun-05 20:18:46

The hotels that Mishmash has mentioned are quite expensive except Bewleys but thats a bit out of town.

WideWebWitch Tue 21-Jun-05 20:20:22

The Morgan is nice too

Orinoco Tue 21-Jun-05 21:25:20

Message withdrawn

LGJ Tue 21-Jun-05 21:32:32

I stay at my Mum's, so I am not much use

ButtonMoon Tue 21-Jun-05 21:57:34

We stayed st the Arlington which is right on the Liffey, Dublins most central hotel...10 minutes from Grafton Street. Lovely hotel with live Irish dancing every night so ask for a room on a high floor

Frenchy72 Wed 22-Jun-05 10:34:00

the Lonely Planet recommends several mid range hotels like Charles Stewartm Lynham's Hotel, Town House or Walton's Hotel (in the North of the river, 'cheaper')

in the South of the river (more expensive): Morgan Hotel, Aston Hotel, Eliza Lodgem Jurys Inn Christchurch.

They also recommend Clarence and Merrion but they price 'Top End'.
Lonely Planet say it's best to use the tourism center , see here .

hope it helps

stleger Wed 22-Jun-05 14:40:13

Dh stays in Buswell's but always phones them and negotiates a price. Whole family stayed in the Harcourt - he did a deal with them too. It was OK, but a bit noisy as it has a nightclub.

stleger Wed 22-Jun-05 16:31:49

Dh says try la Stampa by phone, it is quite chic. And always try to pretend it is business.

Millie1 Wed 22-Jun-05 16:59:06

Stleger ... have you or DH stayed there? I'm just asking cos we stayed almost 2 years ago and hated it! No lifts, me 6 mths preg and room on 3rd floor. Maybe it was just my hormonal pregnant state (!) but personally I wouldn't recommend it. Restaurant's supposed to be fabulous though

Mosschops30 Wed 22-Jun-05 17:41:30

Message withdrawn

stleger Wed 22-Jun-05 17:54:53

Dh stayed (he usually does Buswells), but wouldn't think anything of no lift. Restaurant is excellent according to him, but no celebrities noted in bar which the website made him expect. When in Buswells he gets a room near the back as the pedestrian crossing bleeper outside keeps him awake.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: