Talk

Advanced search

Going to spain will DS be ok??

(13 Posts)
natterbox Mon 20-Jun-05 10:13:01

I am a bit concerned as we are going on a family holiday to spain and I have never been away with DS (17m).

My Ds still has a night time bottle (cows milk) will he be ok with milk from spain?

Will the airline allow a travel cot on board?

Will Ds be ok on the flight?

You might think Im mad, but Im really worried as Im not a great flyer anyway.lol

If anyone can help that would be great.

Nemo1977 Mon 20-Jun-05 10:21:40

hi hun
we took ds when he was 6mths to spain
if ur worried about milk take a older baby formula although it is exactly the same.

travel cot is allowed on board it goes in with luggage.

for flight just make sure u have drinks and couple of new toys/books to entertain.

I am a terrible flyer to point of being given tablets but funnily enough when flying with ds i didnt have enough time to worry about it..lol

have a good time

Mosschops30 Mon 20-Jun-05 10:24:10

Message withdrawn

QueenEagle Mon 20-Jun-05 10:29:24

We took ds3 when he was 7months old to Menorca. For the flight make sure he has plenty to entertain him, shouldn't be too bad as it's only about 2 hours. If he has a dummy make sure he has it when taking off and landing as this will help his ears. Keep a rucksack with baby essentials with you. Little snacks are a good idea. How about a toy aeroplane for him? Kids always love looking out the windows at the sky and clouds. Stickers books are good to do also.

Travel cot should be ok. Are you able to hire a travel cot at the place you're staying?

The formula idea from Nemo is a good idea, but the milk over there should be ok to drink, it tastes a bit different though so he may not like it, although all my lot loved it.

Hope you have a great time!

natterbox Mon 20-Jun-05 10:41:22

Thank you all for the great advice, it is really helpful.
I was makin myself feel sick over it.lol I wasnt sure if I could put my son onto that follow on milk after being on cows milk. Saying that tho he wont drink it on its own I have to put nesquik (milkshake) in for him to drink it.lol

natterbox Mon 20-Jun-05 10:44:14

QueenEagle, great idea to rent a travel cot, but we are staying at my cousins holiday home over there, and he said there wasnt a cot there.

Easy Mon 20-Jun-05 10:51:25

Natterbox,

Goodness, don't get yourself in a stew, this is a holiday after all.

The milk is just milk. Give it to him, don't say anything, and he won't know there's any difference.

Fold the travel cot, pack it well and put it thru' with your luggage. It is probably too big to be allowed in the cabin with you.

On the flight have his dummy, or a bottle or sippy cup of his favourite juice, so he can be encouraged to suck during take-off and landing.

and don't worry. Spain is only a couple of hours away you know, not another planet.

jessicasmummy Mon 20-Jun-05 11:07:59

I personally cant drink milk from abroad, so I would be inclined to take a tin of progress milk. Just my opinion though.

natterbox Mon 20-Jun-05 11:16:27

Thats another thing I noticed on the flights it takes 4 hrs to get there and only 2 hrs to get home. Whats that all about? Is it something to do with the way earth spins?lol or something to do with the time difference?

jessicasmummy Mon 20-Jun-05 11:16:59

it'll be the time difference.... its usually about 3 hours... allowing for an hour each end.

Azure Mon 20-Jun-05 11:20:23

We' ve taken DS to the Algarve at 12 months and to Spain at 20 months, 3 and 3.9 years. He's never had a problem with drinking the cows milk there - you can get full-fat just like in the UK. Fresh milk will taste better than UHT milk. With regard to the travel cot, if yours is anything like ours it is extremely heavy, and will count towards your luggage allowance. Given that you probably don't have any allowance for your DS (unless you've bought a seat for him) it may restrict what you can pack in a suitcase - I normally find that two suitcases between DH, DS and me makes up the full 40kg (2 x 20kg) allowance. Is it an option to hire a cot when you're there? Have a great trip - I'm sure it'll all go fine.

natterbox Mon 20-Jun-05 11:21:10

thanx jm, I dont know how it all works. So we should only be in the air for about 2hrs then?? Still a long time to keep my chappy happy.lol

natterbox Mon 20-Jun-05 11:29:31

Oh no Azure, I didnt even think of that. There is 5 of us going, my ds 9yrs and ds 17m my dp and my dad. Im sure my ds's can go in 1 case, me and dp in another then my dads, I hope it will be ok, plus I will have a buggy too.

I will have to look at that on the site, bmibaby.com. Has anyone ever gone with these?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now