Talk

Advanced search

Daughter hates the car..what to do?!!

(10 Posts)
jaqphil Sun 19-Jun-05 19:09:23

My 8 week dd is fine in the car seat itself but hates it once the car starts moving. this does not diminish with distance as we tried an hour of it going up north..only exhaustion got her off to sleep. Any tips?

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 09:55:51

Travel at night when normally she would be sleeping.

We've just come back from a weekend at my parents. They live 310 miles away (5 hour car drive). We set off with our 1 year old and nearly 3 year old at 19.00. Made sure they were bathed and in their pjs. They fell asleep shortly after we set off, and on arrival (at around midnight - that's the slight downside) we transferred them to beds and they barely stirred.

It's a bit tiring travelling at night, but infinitely preferable to unhappy children IMO

hoxtonchick Mon 20-Jun-05 09:57:26

we do the same as hmc, as my parents live 200 miles away (though mostly they come to us). another advantage is that the roads are much quieter at night.

Catbert Mon 20-Jun-05 10:02:50

But you mean any trip right? Including just a trip to Tescos... Which admittedly you could do at night as well

I would imagine that as she's only 8 weeks, she will change simply with the passing of time, and more and more trips in the car. She'll just get used to it. Take her for more frequent drives to get her used to it. Get her a carseat playbar to give her something to look at. Put her in the front seat so she can see you. Play soothing music, buy a CD/tape or listen to Classic FM or sing madly as you drive along if she likes that!!

That's all I can think of for now - but trust that 8 weeks is wee, and with every passing week they change hugely.

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 10:30:29

Yep and you could also travel to baby clinic, play groups etc at night! - lol

Catbert is right - she will change week by week

Easy Mon 20-Jun-05 10:44:06

Could it be just that she can't see you ? do you travel in the back with her? If you are on yur own driving with her, can she go in the front (rear-facing, depends on air bag situation)

I'd do lots of short trips to get her used to it.

jaqphil Tue 21-Jun-05 18:21:31

We did try me siting next to her but it seems to make no difference. Short trips and aging must be the way forward.I'll keep my fingers crossed she grows out if it...otherwise a pair of ear plugs!

Slink Tue 21-Jun-05 18:39:00

my dd was like that up to 3months. We would give her a feed then get her in the car, also try different music (be careful it does put you to sleep though)

fishfinger Tue 21-Jun-05 18:42:44

yep
had htis to
it goes

geogteach Tue 21-Jun-05 18:45:54

I sympathise, my first 2 loved the car number 3 hated it but has grown out of it, he is 8 months now and has probably been ok at least the last 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now