Talk

Advanced search

Packing baby food in the hold?

(14 Posts)
barleycorn Thu 12-Nov-09 12:11:43

Hi, we're going long haul (this aft actually) to India and I've bought some baby food for 9 mo to take in case we can't give him anything else whilst travelling on the train etc.

I was going to put it in the hold, but it's in little plastic sealed pots, which dh says might explode under the pressure.

Has anyone taken any in a suitcase in the hold? What happened???

Ta

barleycorn Thu 12-Nov-09 12:32:34

Anyone???

tvaerialmagpiebin Thu 12-Nov-09 12:33:51

I have taken jars (glass ones) and there was no problem with explosions.

mosschops30 Thu 12-Nov-09 12:34:22

Ive taken babyfood jars if thats any help. They were fine, I just wrapped them in plastic bags like I would do with shampoo or shower gel in the event of a spillage.

Why does your dh think it will explode, do all his toiletries explode on flights? No course not, it will be fine smile

barleycorn Thu 12-Nov-09 12:34:54

Thanks... Might have to send dh off to shop now...

Geocentric Thu 12-Nov-09 12:35:43

They're vacuum-packed, aren't they? I'm guessing no air = no explosion (but physics wasn't my top subject so I may be completely wrong).

tvaerialmagpiebin Thu 12-Nov-09 12:35:50

If you take them in your hand luggage you will have to open them and test them (eat a bit) at airport security. Possibly taste formula bottles too, I think.

barleycorn Thu 12-Nov-09 12:37:56

grin mosschops, he is a bit of a worrywart

barleycorn Thu 12-Nov-09 12:39:29

Also, his mum had an unfortunate episode with a yoghurt pot on a plane home after a self-catering holiday, she's traumatised the entire family with her tale of yoghurt soaked clobber.

tvaerialmagpiebin Thu 12-Nov-09 12:43:29

Well I think yoghurt is a bit different! Not designed for being packed in a suitcase IMO.

I am a worrier too and always pack anything that might leak in a bag, nothing has ever leaked at all.

I worry more that customs might open my case and wonder why I have a stick deodorant in a plastic bag.

barleycorn Thu 12-Nov-09 12:50:40

Ok then, thanks, have packed it in a bag.

Will update on our return if anything 'exciting' happens.

tvaerialmagpiebin Thu 12-Nov-09 12:57:51

Have a fabbo time

IslandIsla Thu 12-Nov-09 15:32:14

I think the hold is usually pressurised like the cabin so I doubt they would explode! More likely they would break unless packed carefully!

TheHappyCat Thu 12-Nov-09 18:21:10

I've taken plum baby and ella's kitchen in the hold, wrapped well, long haul and short and always fine.
I always get scared I am going to be stopped at customs as you are not meant to take in meats, dairies etc but never has been a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now