Talk

Advanced search

Terminal 5 in Heathrow

(6 Posts)
NickNemo Thu 12-Nov-09 11:55:50

Has anybody been to T5? DD (2 years) and I have a very long flight to do in early Feb (Bombay - London - Vancouver - Edmonton) all in one stretch. The longest stopover is T5 in London for 10 hours. I was wondering if they had showers we could use? Has anyone else used the lounges, are they only for first class?

Also, is it possible to book into a hotel when we first arrive at 7AM and check out at 4PM?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

NickNemo Thu 12-Nov-09 11:56:21

Book into a hotel local to Heathrow, I meant.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 12-Nov-09 14:09:26

Went through T5 not so long ago.

The 2 lounges in the departure area at T5 are owned and operated by BA and are only for their first and business class pax. There are no shower facilities either (they're in the arrivals area in their lounge, again for first and business class pax).

You should be able to get a room near this airport terminal (think there's a novotel or something like that near T5) but they may charge you the full day's rate.

NickNemo Thu 12-Nov-09 14:33:37

Darn it, I was hoping they would have a discount of some sort. I just can't see myself carting around an overexcited DD after a nine hour overnighter around T5, especially as we have another 9 hour flight afterwards.

What would be a reasonable amount of time to travel between terminals? I am thinking maybe booking one of the airport hotels at T3.

I've never connected through Heathrow before, so would be glad of any heads up!

janinlondon Thu 12-Nov-09 15:15:36

All the shower and hotel facilities are on the other side of the immigration barriers - you would have to enter the UK to use them. The closest hotel to T5 is the Sofitel - connected via a walkway. There is a travelodge on the other side of the M25 if you are looking for a cheaper option. Or you could connect to the other terminals for more hotel options - its only a 5 minute transfer. But the hotels there will all need a taxi or bus link too. Your main time problem will be in going through immigration and back again - check in at LHR for a long haul like this is 2-3 hours.

NickNemo Thu 12-Nov-09 16:37:28

Hi Jan, thanks. Both DD and I have Brit passports so immigration shouldn't be a problem. And as we are flying multi-stop, our luggage is checked all the way through to Vancouver, so no luggage to check back in and its all at T5 as we are flying BA. I just want to be able to shower and catch a couple hours kip in a hotel if possible, as I know we will have a rough journey in (check in is at 11 PM, flight leaves at 2 AM India time).

Are taxis relatively reasonable? I don't mind paying around £20 one way or other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now