Talk

Advanced search

chance to live in dehli for year? would you

(12 Posts)
foxy1 Tue 10-Nov-09 12:06:23

hello my husband has been offered chance to go and live in DEhli for a year from feb. i am a stay at home mum and have 2 children one has just started school which he really likes and the other one goes to pre school 3 afternoons week. I am not sure as they are settled in school. He has said that they would be in a private school abroad so the classes would be very small and therefore get more attention. i am not sure as it is alot of upheaval for a year. I have never been to india but am a bit worried about all the culture differences and intense heat, not being able to drive etc missing friend and family. on the other hand it is good to take the right opportunities. have anyobe else been through this or lived in DEhli? any advice. thank you very much!!

sarah293 Tue 10-Nov-09 12:09:24

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Tue 10-Nov-09 12:14:06

I would seriously consider it - you may never get another chance and it'll be harder to take them out of school when they're older.

Depends on conditions/money/etc offered too - though if his firm will pay for school I guess you will also have a decent house and access to a car with a driver.

There will be cultural differences but I suspect you will be moving mostly in expat circles so it won;t be a huge wrench and there will be other people in your position.

meltedmarsbars Tue 10-Nov-09 12:17:31

It would be a fantastic opportunity!

Delhi can be hot and dirty but is full of life and culture too. You also can have air-con, gated communities, english schools, ex-pat stuff the same as in any international city if you want it.
A year is a short time in a life, and your children will look back on it as an exciting period in their lives.

Can I come too?

twolittlekings Tue 10-Nov-09 12:23:16

Absolutely! I keep asking my Dh if he could please apply for a job in India (he works in the film industry) as I love love love it!

I think the people are amazing, the place is magical and yes there is poverty and hardship but the experience would far outweigh any of that.

Lucky you

saggyhairyarse Tue 10-Nov-09 20:18:02

I would because of the experience. Your kids are still young so exams etc are not a concern.

Drayford Wed 11-Nov-09 10:36:56

One of my DS's friends spent his early years (birth to 13 - he went to an international school) in Delhi and remembers it as one of the best things in his life so far!

You should go for it - India is a fantastically vibrant and interesting country and the people and culture are wonderful.

The heat is manageable and taxis are very very cheap so you don't need to drive anywhere.

Re family & friends, it's really easy to fly to india (and within india) from the UK (and quite cheap if you shop around and use airlines like Kingfisher) so they'll probably be beating tracks to your doorstep for a free holiday!

What an experience for your DC and for you! Lucky Lucky!!!!!

Horton Wed 11-Nov-09 10:38:25

It would be fantastic. I would love love love to get the chance to do this! You lucky things.

Horton Wed 11-Nov-09 10:39:49

Also, my cousin and her husband recently relocated to Bangalore for a couple of years. I could ask her for any advice she might have if you do end up going, if you want.

foxy1 Wed 11-Nov-09 23:22:33

any advice would be great. i have no idea what it would be like living there. i have never been to india. thank you!!!

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 12-Nov-09 08:31:38

I'd cut my arm off for the chance. I've only ever been on holiday to India but have lived in Thailand and Oman. I think your children would benefit enormously. Very very jealous thinking of your opportunity.

NickNemo Thu 12-Nov-09 10:36:59

Yes, I've lived in Delhi for two years and its a fabulous place to live. You should take the chance to do something different with the kids when you have a chance.

And the schools are really good, especially the international school or Modern school in Vasant Vihar or Delhi Public School.

I'll pass on more advice in a few hours when DD goes for a nap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now