Talk

Advanced search

Positive Mumsnet vibes needed for our most excellent adventure ....

(47 Posts)
ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 11:51:47

On Thursday DS (5), DD(16 and a half months) and I are travelling from NZ to the UK for my sister's wedding and to see family and friends.
Although terribly excited at the prospect of seeing my family etc I am totally dreading the flight(s) ... we are going via singapore with only a 2 hour stop there ... that is 11 hours from Auckland to Singapore then 14 hours from Singapore to London.
DH can't come with us as he has to work but he will be following later and travelling back with us ...
When I booked the flights DD was a small, placid, not yet moving, breastfed 9 month old ... she is now a large, walking, wilful, loud, tantrummy nightmare of a toddler ...
WHAT WAS I THINKING???????????????
Please send as many positive vibes as possible my way from 3am Thursday morning your time till 6am Friday morning ....
TIA

SoupDragon Sat 18-Jun-05 11:53:00

Surely a huge chunk of that will be a night flight?

Puff Sat 18-Jun-05 11:53:02

ghosty, lots of luck and <<<<<<positive, calm child vibes>>>>>>>>>>

SoupDragon Sat 18-Jun-05 11:54:30

And, quite frankly, a 2 hour stop at Singapore is surely sufficient if you'll have to contain 2 small children for that period of time. Enough time to stretch their legs, let them run about and drug them with a sedaive.

SoupDragon Sat 18-Jun-05 11:55:03

Er.. I mean "good luck, Ghosty, you'll be fine!"

MarsLady Sat 18-Jun-05 11:56:08

As I'll probably be up with the DTs, of course I'll be thinking of you! It will be wonderful! Have a good flight!

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 11:56:25

Well, Soupy, we board at 2pm and so DD will be ready for sleep soonish as she will most likely miss her nap (excitement at the airport etc) ...
But she is a creature of habit and only sleeps in a cot ... I have tried to train her to sleep in the car (how bizarre was that? being so proud of having a baby that sleeps well in a cot to trying to train her to sleep in the car !!!!) so that the movement helps but she won't have it ... needs to be lying flat ...
It does not bode well ....

Puff Sat 18-Jun-05 11:57:25

Have you checked out all the "tips for long haul flights with small children" on here? Haven't got time to do links, but I know they are useful.

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 11:58:56

The two hour stop will be the best bit soupy ... it is the 14 hours from S to London that will be terrible ...
Oh well ... at least I am not ML and travelling with her DTs
DS keeps freaking me out with things like "Won't it be cool if the plane goes in the water mummy and we will see sharks and whales?"
And "How can the pilot stay awake for the whole flight mummy?"

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 12:00:08

Thanks, Puff, have been trawling them all to remind myself ... I have done it so many times with DS but IIRC the long haul thing with babies between 6 months and 2 years is HELL!

mysterygirl Sat 18-Jun-05 12:00:29

ghosty - you'll be absolutely fine. Which airline are you travelling with?

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 12:01:24

And this time with two of them ... mind you, DS will be fine as he will play with the games and watch the Disney channel etc ... I have got him dot to dot books and colouring etc ...

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 12:01:45

Singapore Airlines mysterygirl ...

mysterygirl Sat 18-Jun-05 12:02:20

they are apparently excellent from what ive heard

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 12:04:26

They are brilliant MG... we made the decision to pay more this time to avoid Air NZ and the dreaded LA X airport ...

RTKangaMummy Sat 18-Jun-05 12:05:27

Sending positive vibes ++++++++++++++++++++

You will be fine

Love SA and Sing airport go and look at the KOI fish

mysterygirl Sat 18-Jun-05 12:05:43

my friend flies for Emirates - do they go to NZ?

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 12:08:17

RTKM ... I had forgotten about the Koi fish ... thanks for that top tip!!!

MG ... Emirates do go to NZ but you have to go via Australia and then Dubai ... so that would be two stops .... nice airline though ...

RTKangaMummy Sat 18-Jun-05 12:11:40

Also deffo brill toy shop

If DS likes STAR WARS there was a LEGO darth vader full size outside the shop

And a HAGRID from harry potter made from lego

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 12:13:47

Is that all in the transit bit RTKM? It has been 3 years since i did Singapore ....
When he was 2 I didn't really spend much time looking at the kids shops ... too busy drooling over the jewellery!!

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 12:14:24

DS would sell his own grandmother for Star Wars Anything ... but don't tell my mother that

RTKangaMummy Sat 18-Jun-05 12:17:56

here is a link to the transit part of changi

The best airport in the world

RTKangaMummy Sat 18-Jun-05 12:19:06

Don't tell him about it incase it has gone

Let it be a surprize

RTKangaMummy Sat 18-Jun-05 12:20:07

My DS would do the same or any lego for that matter

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 12:27:20

Top link RTKM ... methinks DS will be getting a little something from there!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now