Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

going to venice for two days any suggestions

(26 Posts)
bumptobabies Fri 17-Jun-05 08:16:39

were going to venice on the 28 untill 30th its a supize for dh birthday,where do you suggest we visit.

LGJ Fri 17-Jun-05 08:18:21

Not sure..............................

Bring me and I am sure we can work something out, I have a guide book.

bumptobabies Fri 17-Jun-05 09:21:43

no problem are you a contautionist as im only taking hand luggage

albert Fri 17-Jun-05 11:33:54

Oh, oh, just read this - come and see me, I live here!!
Must take a vaporetto (boat) down the Grand Canal to San Marco to see and go inside the basilica. (They won't allow you in in strappy tops but will give you a sort of tablecloth to cover yourself though - but better to bring a shawl type thing of your own because several places won't let you in otherwise) Go up the Campanille (bell tower) in San Marco' square for some fantastic views, go to the Doges palace and across the bridge of sighs into the prison cells.
Eat masses of pasta and yummy ice cream, drink proseco (Italian champagne - very cheap but excellent)
Don't worry about getting lost, everyone does and that's half the fun of Venice
Oh, there's a billion things, CAT me if you like although I will be leaving in 30 minutes and not back until Monday (I'm in the office)
Where are you staying?

Cam Fri 17-Jun-05 11:44:01

If you only go to one "art gallery" go to the Scuola Grande di San Rocco which has wall to wall and celings painted by Tintoretto.

There are more than 60 of his paintings set in a beautiful Venetian Renaissance building.

Try to see the piazza San Marco for the first time at dusk when the gold on the Basilica San Marco really stands out.

bumptobabies Fri 17-Jun-05 17:18:20

sounds great, were staying in san marco and were going with ryanair i think they have a bus that drops us off ill have to find out.
albert;
do you know somewhere to eat in san marco as it will be dh birthday it needs to be kid friendly and not too pricey.
so do you live in venice?

MarsLady Fri 17-Jun-05 17:25:17

I suggest you visit Albert. I also suggest, rather strongly, that you take me!

LIZS Fri 17-Jun-05 17:30:34

a bus to where though ? Venice consists of many islands so you'll need to go by water at some point. If you feel decadent take a water taxi from the airport or drop-off point to your hotel - it feels so decadent! Also , not sure how old your kiddes are , but if you and they can bear it, cross over the Grand Canal, take a wander and go into a few churches - they house some hidden art treasures. Can't remember the exact locations but will see if dh can later.

LIZS Fri 17-Jun-05 17:43:23

dh recalls that the one with some Titian's in a side room is Santa Maria Della Salute (white church with a dome like Sacre Coeur !!), across the Acadaemia Bridge and turn left, in the same area as the Guggenheim museum.

jackeroo Fri 17-Jun-05 18:03:00

san marco in the late evening is very romantic - people were waltzing in the square outside the cafes when we visited... getting lost in maze of canals and narrow streets is one of the best things about venice (agree with albert!)

charleypops Fri 17-Jun-05 19:16:00

Ryan Air will put you on a coach to the bus station and you'll have to get the Vaporetto from there. You could get a water taxi, but we didn't bother with those. It will seem to take ages to get to San Marco (St Mark's Square) on the vaporetto (think you need to catch a number 1), but it's a stunning journey up the Grand Union Canal.. I'd get 2 day passes for everyone so you can jump on and off it as you'll probably use it a lot. My fave place was the Dogues Palace/Bridge of Sighs. Wish I'd gone to a glass blowing workshop. Take comfy shoes. Have a great time!

Ellbell Fri 17-Jun-05 19:58:46

Oooh, fab... lucky you.

My recommendation is to go to the island of San Giorgio Maggiore, which is the island almost directly opposite San Marco/the Salute. You can go up the belltower there (there's a lift ... the last time I went up manned by a monk with very bad BO... hence it's known in our family as Smelly-Monk Tower!) and the views are fab.

On the Zattere (back from the Salute) you get the best Gianduiotto in Venice!

Have fun.

Ellbell Fri 17-Jun-05 19:59:10

Oh, and I second the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, too.

albert Fri 17-Jun-05 20:04:21

Charlypops is right, Ryan air will take you to Treviso airport where they will put you on a bus (don't know the price for that but it's the only way to get here really). It'll take you to the drop of point in Venice at the start of the Grand Canal. Get number 1 or 82 vaporetto in the direction of San Marco, it takes about 40 mins. 3 day pass is the best option, costs 22Euro per person and can be used on any vaporetto otherwise you pay 5.00Euro per trip!
To eat in San Marco head down the streets to the left of the basilica as you face it, there's a huge choice of places and everywhere is family friendly, no probs there. If you choose to eat on the square itself you will pay a small fortune.
Yes, I live in Venice itself, in Cannaregio. I am so lucky

albert Fri 17-Jun-05 20:06:47

Unfortunately the San Giorgio Maggiore bell tower is under scafolding right now! But also agree on Scuola Grande di San Rocco it's fantastic - they provide mirrors to lok at the ceiling otherwise you'll get severe neck ache!

Ellbell Fri 17-Jun-05 20:22:32

Oh shame. You can tell I haven't been to Venice for AGES . Must go back soon.

Hausfrau Fri 17-Jun-05 20:23:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ellbell Fri 17-Jun-05 20:24:37

Of the smaller islands, I like Torcello. Much quieter and less 'touristy', although Burano is nice too.

Ellbell Fri 17-Jun-05 20:25:28

The Lido will probably be busy at this time of year, but we went in December once and we were the only people there... or so it seemed. The whole place was deserted!

triplets Sat 18-Jun-05 01:02:43

Oh lucky you. I went in 1976 with a girlfriend, So I have two tips for you, take lots of euros and NOT your husband!

triplets Sat 18-Jun-05 01:03:33

ps. when you have been married as long as I have you might feel the same!

Copper Sat 18-Jun-05 06:15:07

Albert
do you really live in Venice? You lucky lucky person. Can you tell us more? What's is like bringing up a child in Venice? Very curious about the mum's eye view!

Bumptobabies
If you are more interested in Venice as a unique and beautiful place than in its artistic treasure, go to the Arsenale: it's usually closed but will be open for the Biennale (major modern art exhibition) and the Naval museum close by - very interesting for getting a grasp of how and why Venice was so important in the Med. And as you are in the area, go to the tiny Scuola degli Schiavoni to see the Carpaccio paintings - most intensely Venetian painter for my money.
Sit on a vaporetto and go all the way round Venice, out to the Lido etc. Very restful when you are tired, and beautiful thing to do.

Get to St Mark's as early as possible to avoid the crowds ....

NadiaB Sat 18-Jun-05 06:20:34

sorry can you please tell me how I can start a thread..I cant find how 2 anywhere!!!

bumptobabies Sat 18-Jun-05 08:06:39

no probs nadia, go to a thread that has the topic you want so say you want travel open this thread then look at where it says create a new message.its at the top.hth

snafu Sat 18-Jun-05 08:16:40

I also recommend the Scuola - it is beautiful - and San Marco at dusk. It's a long time since I was in Venice but my main recommendation would be to just get lost! By which I mean, just wander around and enjoy - you will be knocked out by the beauty of the place. We came into Venice on a water taxi up the middle of the Grand Canal and it is breathtaking.

Don't be tempted by the 'romantic' gondolas, though.

Albert, what's it like having so many people envious of you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now