Talk

Advanced search

How to avoid ear problems in a toddler on take off/landing?

(6 Posts)
InTheZenGarden Fri 06-Nov-09 11:28:02

Hi,

We are flying on Monday with DD, aged 18 months. Was planning on giving her a bottle on take-off, to make the pressure changes easier on her ears.

But I have just managed to wean her off bottles (which will make the holiday so much easier! ) and really don't want to get her back onto them.

Will a beaker do anything? Or does she need to be chewing/sucking? What do you do?

Thanks

sb6699 Fri 06-Nov-09 12:30:36

You can buy special plugs for their ears in the Boots inside the airport. They seem to work with my dc's.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 06-Nov-09 13:33:02

I think swallowing is the key. It's all about equalising pressure inside your ear, so dummy drink sweetie.

BertieBotts Fri 06-Nov-09 13:41:46

How about a lollipop - you could keep hold of the stick so she didn't swallow it in one go.

But yes even drinking out of a cup helps so I should think a beaker will be fine.

AmazingBouncingFerret Fri 06-Nov-09 13:43:28

Carvol (sp?) decongestant pods. when flying to Mexico on my honeymoon a very lovely air steward gave me one of those to sniff in a plastic cup and it did the world of good!

InTheZenGarden Fri 06-Nov-09 15:40:08

Brilliant, thank you all Shall use a combination of all your suggestions! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now