Talk

Advanced search

Tips for a train journey with a 10 month old?

(8 Posts)
cricket Thu 16-Jun-05 16:15:13

Hi there, I'm travelling alone with my crawling, standing but not walking 10 month old on a train to London next week (Intercity type train - journey 2 1/2 hours). Anyone got any tips on keeping him amused? Is it worth buying a booster seat for him to sit on seeing as I won't be able to keep the buggy up on the train? I'm travelling at lunchtimes both ways and hoping to bribe him with food!

emmamama Thu 16-Jun-05 16:42:06

Food is always a good idea. Perhaps a small box of raisins too, keeps mine amused for ages. Keep a few little toys aside for the trip, ones that are either new or he hasn't had for a while. A booster seat might be a bit cumbersome and does he get his own seat on the train?

cricket Thu 16-Jun-05 16:59:52

I thought I might get one ofthose inflatable booster seats that are designed for travel. Haven't booked him a seat. Do you think I ought to?

Marina Thu 16-Jun-05 17:01:31

If you are travelling off-peak then hopefully you'll get a seat anyway.
Not an option to bring your car seat? That's how I kept a one-year old immobilised as long as possible on a four hour trip last year

dinosaur Thu 16-Jun-05 17:03:59

I travelled a lot by train with DS2 when he was this sort of age and nearly always managed to keep the buggy up on the train - are you sure you won't be able to?

Agree that bribery with food is good!

cricket Thu 16-Jun-05 17:24:15

Not much room on an intercity train for a buggy. On newer trains they have plenty of room for buggies or wheelchairs but not so on the old style intercity trains - tiny toilets, steps to get on the train etc. Out of the dark ages (unless I am mistaken and there is room for buggies now - who would I check with though???).That was why I was thinking of a collaspible booster seat...

cricket Thu 16-Jun-05 17:45:10

He's now in his big car seat (he is a big boy!)so no chance of carrying the new one on the train (weighs a ton - and so does he! bless). Is there normally room in the buffet car for a buggy does anyone know? Got to feed him somewhere and I don't think he is going to stay on my lap for more than 10 seconds!!

cricket Thu 16-Jun-05 19:25:33

Ok, panic over Think the train has a "family carriage" with space for buggies. Will go there. Thanks for all the help!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: