Talk

Advanced search

Where can you go for nice weather at Christmas that is short haul ish?

(11 Posts)
stressed2007 Wed 04-Nov-09 09:57:24

I don't mean boiling hot but nice enough to sit on a chair and feel the sun. We had decided on a number of destinations but on further research they all seem to be nice cardigan weather rather then the kids being able to swim in the pool weather.

Someone told me that the Canaries - I think Tenerife and the South only(?) were good but can anyone please confirm or suggest somewhere that is n't 10 hours away that might be good.

Many thanks

paisleyleaf Wed 04-Nov-09 10:00:44

I think you are going to have to fly about 4 hours at least for warmth then. Like you say, Canaries or anywhere along that latitude. I've been to Morrocco in January and it was gorgeous.

stressed2007 Wed 04-Nov-09 10:02:19

really? Where did you go - we were told 15-17 and very rainy. That was nearish casablanca

paisleyleaf Wed 04-Nov-09 10:09:33

Agadir, Marrakesh, Essaouira, Atlas Mountains, Sahara Desert. Pretty much all over, but further south than Casablanca.
Maybe we were lucky.

stressed2007 Wed 04-Nov-09 10:16:29

do they have good hotels there..sorry to be dense but we needs kids facilites. Were going to go to the nww Magazan Beach Resort but is seems the weather is notgood enough - very rainy

paisleyleaf Wed 04-Nov-09 10:26:22

We went pre DC so I wasn't properly aware of facilities for children then. Our hotel in Agadir had a pool and Agadir beach had some bits going on, although probably would've been a lot more going on if it was more towards the height of the season.

Hersetta Thu 05-Nov-09 08:35:42

We're going away at Xmas and pre DD we always went long haul (caribbean, Maldives etc)so when I was looking to book somewhere for this Xmas I wanted to have a shorter flight as we have 26 month DD in tow. To be guaranteed nice weather we had two choices, Egypt which is around 25 degrees or the cape verde islands which is around 30 degrees and both are around 5.5 hrs flying.

In the end we chose Egypt as the beaches are safer for DD (cape verde is in the atlantic so the sea can be rough), also worked out very reasonably priced and we have a lovely family friendly hotel and DD even gets her own bedroom within our room.

stressed2007 Thu 05-Nov-09 09:35:08

Hersetta - which hotel and where if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

Hersetta Thu 05-Nov-09 11:22:10

We're going to the Coral sea Holiday Village in Sharm.

oneofakind Fri 06-Nov-09 22:22:02

we went to marrakesh with ds just 3 last christmas period. it was cold in the mornings and once the sun went down but about 20 degrees in the daytime - bit too cold to swim unless it was a heated pool. riads in the medina tended to have no pools but there were some large hotels which had outdoor and indoor pools but not sure you would find anything like kids clubs. fascinating place though and ds enjoyed himself (we went to essaouira after four days in marrakech and that was about the same temp but windier).
we too are looking for somewhere for this year and have shortlisted cape verde, canaries, cyprus, kenya (but flight too long I think) and Egypt (but worried about terrorism particularlya around a christian festival time).

stressed2007 Fri 06-Nov-09 22:31:24

see my post re danger on other thread just posted - we have been thinking same thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now