Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet recommendations are always brill - tell me where to visit whilst in North Devon.......

(23 Posts)
Puff Thu 16-Jun-05 10:56:10

We're staying near Westward Ho! for a week - us (with ds1, 4 and ds2, 2) plus my brother and SIL and my neice (3).

I don't know North Devon very well - can you recommend days out for toddlers and good beaches.

Thankyou

Puff Thu 16-Jun-05 16:34:54

cod Thu 16-Jun-05 16:37:53

Message withdrawn

cod Thu 16-Jun-05 16:38:08

Message withdrawn

bossykate Thu 16-Jun-05 16:38:35

woolacombe? clovelly?

elliedragon Thu 16-Jun-05 16:43:33

There is a good park area in Bideford, not far from Westward Ho which has an outdoor paddling pool which my children loved. They do nice icecreams from the van there too!! All the sandy beaches around are good - Saunton, Croyde, Woolacombe.

Marina Thu 16-Jun-05 16:53:31

Woolacombe is lovely on a fine day but really is just a delightful beach with fine sand and good amenities (loos, couple of small cafes etc) - ie, not much to do there if the weather changes.
Our top day out last year was this place
http://www.watermouthcastle.com\Watermouth Castle} - the quintessential British amusement park and absolutely charmingly dotty.
It's near Ilfracombe so you could stop off for tea at Damien Hurst's new restaurant on your way back...

Steppy1 Thu 16-Jun-05 16:54:32

Mr Brother lives with his wife and my two nieces nr Woolacombe and it's fab.....lots of horseriding, surfing or playing on the beach...there's also a really good family friendly surf restaurant overlooking to sea 9big portions !!!) hope you have a fab time

Marina Thu 16-Jun-05 16:54:34

Aw pants, my first ever failed link
Watermouth Castle

anteater Thu 16-Jun-05 17:16:08

an olde thread
Are the whale bones still round the head of Croyde beach??

starlover Thu 16-Jun-05 17:18:25

well westward ho! is a fantastic beach!

second the big sheep... it's so cool there!

don't know that i'd do clovelly with a toddler though. it's so steep i think you'd struggle to hang onto a buggy!

blossom2 Thu 16-Jun-05 17:20:35

I definitely recommend the big sheep - great fun even for adults. we stayed at woolacombe bay and its lovely.

have fun!

Stilltrue Thu 16-Jun-05 17:24:31

If you wanted to go a bit further for a change of scene you could drive towards Bude in N Cornwall. Widemouth Bay just beyond Bude is very sandy.
If you are into gardens, and want to skip the beach one day, go to Hartland Abbey; the little ones can run about outside.

cod Thu 16-Jun-05 18:20:52

Message withdrawn

cod Thu 16-Jun-05 18:29:29

Message withdrawn

cod Thu 16-Jun-05 18:31:08

Message withdrawn

Puff Thu 16-Jun-05 18:38:28

Great ideas everyone - thankyou .

mogwai Thu 16-Jun-05 20:16:23

I vote for Combe Martin

littleshebear Thu 16-Jun-05 21:41:15

We're going to North Devon too (again! because we love it so much).

The Big Sheep is really funny and has a good indoor play area for wet days. We went to the Milky Way last time - a cow instead of a sheep themed day out! Again, a nice play area and a Bird of Prey centre but we didn't like it as much.All the themed places seem to be completely dotty!

The beach at Woolacombe is our favourite,and Putsborough is good too, next to Woolacombe and also has rock pools. Croyde is nice but smaller and very busy with surfers. Last time we went to Woody Bay - it is lovely - a long walk down through woods to a rocky wooded cove - the water is turquoise. Perhaps not for little kids as it is such a long walk but beautiful and quiet and unspoiled.

This time I think we're going to hire bikes - you can cycle along the Tarka Trail around Bideford, and also try to do a bit more walking on Exmoor and see the ponies. Also we are staying a bit further down so I would like to go to Rosemoor gardens (RHS).

I wouldn't bother with Clovelly with little children as it is so busy and steep.

I can't wait to go myself - I think it is the most beautiful place.

Surfermum Thu 16-Jun-05 21:45:57

Deffo The Big Sheep. Adults can go on the soft play and they have races where they put knitted jockeys on the sheep and you bet on them. Dsd loved it there.

Puff Thu 16-Jun-05 21:50:31

The Big Sheep is top of my list !

starlover Thu 16-Jun-05 21:51:35

big sheep is just up the road from DP's parents house when are you going puff?

sallystrawberry Thu 16-Jun-05 21:55:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now