Talk

Advanced search

Do children have to pay on trains?

(17 Posts)
kid Tue 14-Jun-05 21:53:43

Our class are planning a trip to Southend. I know kids don't have to pay on buses (under a certain age) but how about on the train?

I've tried searching for prices online but haven't managed to find it yet. Plus, I thought someone on MN would know the answer anyway

Hulababy Tue 14-Jun-05 21:54:52

Under 5s are free on trains.

Not sure about big trips though - may be some special arrangements?

sparklymieow Tue 14-Jun-05 21:55:10

its 5 on a train. I only know that because I wasn't paying for Ds till about a year ago when we went to the london hospitals and found out I should have been paying for a year!!

Hulababy Tue 14-Jun-05 21:57:02

Here you go:

Question
What child fares are available?

Answer
Children under the age of 5 can travel for free but they will not have a seat reservation. If you require a seat reservation a child ticket must be purchased.

There are a number of discounts available for children aged from 5 to 15. These will be shown when making your online booking.

So I suspect that a school trip would need to pay for child seats, so that each child had a seat.

sparklymieow Tue 14-Jun-05 22:00:30

well Ds sits in his wheelchairs so doesn't use a seat on the train!!! I think he should travel free

crunchie Tue 14-Jun-05 22:17:51

We pay £1 for a child, but that is when buying an adult ticket

edam Tue 14-Jun-05 22:20:08

I misread this as 'do children have to play on trains and thought it would be a rant about badly-behaved brats from someone like the boss who moaned about mums in costa coffee

sparklymieow Tue 14-Jun-05 22:52:16

I pay 80p for DS, with two adults paying.

mckenzie Tue 14-Jun-05 22:59:35

Check what a family ticket would cost first.

My sister was travelling with her son who was 6 at the time and so she bought a family ticket.
I was travelling with DS who was 2 at the time so I boguht a standard adult ticket.

My ticket cost more than hers! Honest. Ticket clerk told me it can happen sometimes, quirk of the system.

kid Tue 14-Jun-05 23:37:15

there will be about 30 children and 4 or 5 adults. Have sent an email for a group price, just have to sit back and wait now.

MeerkatsUnite Wed 15-Jun-05 06:50:24

Hi,

Which station will you be travelling from to get to Southend?. I ask this as Southend is served by two different railway companies (ONE uses Southend Victoria and C2C's is Southend Central). C2C's station is nearer the seafront as well.

You can buy a one day travelcard off peak (after 9.30am) for each child; this will cost the princely sum of £1.

Would certainly check with the railway company before departure as there may be a discount for multiple purchases.

kid Wed 15-Jun-05 13:19:07

we would need to get to Stratford (london) then catch a train to southend. I think its the great eastern train, I could be wrong as I usually drive everywhere.

MeerkatsUnite Wed 15-Jun-05 14:26:20

Hi Kid,

Great Eastern are now known as ONE (name change as GE lost the franchise. An unfortunate occurance as service with GE overall was okay).

If you get a train from Stratford you will go to Southend Victoria Station. Just to advise you that it is some considerable distance to walk from there to the seafront (the last part is down a steep hill).

Would say if you use C2C's service which runs from Limehouse, Southend Central station is a lot closer to the seafront.

HTH

kid Wed 15-Jun-05 18:29:24

We are actually leaving from Dalston so could get to Stratford easily.
Could you recommend an easy(ish) route from Dalston do you think to Limehouse?
Thanks for your help and advice BTW

MeerkatsUnite Fri 17-Jun-05 06:57:28

On arrival at Stratford you could board the Docklands Light Railway. Believe this goes to Limehouse.

Not certain about bus routes from Stratford sorry to say. (Am more familiar with the train services that operate around there).

HTH

bensmum3 Fri 17-Jun-05 23:06:53

We have a local train pass, that allows 3 children per adult to travel at a much reduced rate, would definately recommend train travel with children though, as so many ways to keep them interested.

loulabelle222 Tue 28-Jun-05 01:32:08

if u get the train from fenchurch street..west ham..limehouse..barking they all go to southend central on the c2c (its the train that stops at chafford hundred (lakeside) where are u travelling from?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: