Talk

Advanced search

off to USA for christmas, passports run out in May next year...

(13 Posts)
mckenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 20:15:51

... that's okay isn't it? or do we need to have 6 months left on them when travelling or something daft like that?

TIA

mckenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 22:02:41

bump

stealthsquiggle Mon 26-Oct-09 22:04:50

Yes, you do (need 6 months left) - you need to get them renewed before you go. I am 99+% sure.

mckenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 22:07:41

thank you very much. With the current postal strike looks like I'll be paying through the nose and visiting the passport office in Victoria huh?

sleepwhenidie Mon 26-Oct-09 22:10:37

yep, you need 6m. Passport office isn't too painful now though, you have to make an appointment and when I went they were v efficient, only had to wait 5 mins and was done and dusted in 20.

mckenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 22:24:05

it costs double though nearly doesn't it? We don't go until dec 22nd so if i get the forms and photos done tomorrow, get the photos signed tomorrow night and take it to post office wednesday for 'check and send' we should be okay huh?

stealthsquiggle Mon 26-Oct-09 22:30:28

That is >6 weeks away - as I remember Check & Send promises return in 2 weeks, which would leave plenty of margin for postal strikes.

henryhuggins Mon 26-Oct-09 22:38:29

before you do this, why not call the passport office to confirm or look on their website? might save a lot of aggro!

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 26-Oct-09 22:45:07

You do need to have 6 months on your passport.

Post office check and send is a very good service, IME. But I would ask them about how long it will take during current disputes!

mckenzie Tue 27-Oct-09 07:27:05

thanks guys. I did try looking on the website first HenryHuggins but I couldn't find the answer. DH looked too so i don't think it was me being daft (I'll be very embarrassed if someone finds it now blush .

I'm going to the PO this morning to get the forms so will ask then about the Check and Send option.

mckenzie Tue 27-Oct-09 10:46:26

I checked with Virgin Atlantic and for some parts of the US you do need 6 months but for Florida, as long as your passport is valid for the length of your stay, it's okay. You dont need the extra 6 months.
And I've just done the Visa Waiver application on line and it accepted the passports that are due to expire early next year so I guess that confirms it.
So my trip to the post office this morning was a bit of a waste, and the £8 I spent on photos. My fault though, I shouldn't have been in a panic, I should have double checked first. Never mind. DD's photo is lovely grin.
I'll save it for when we come back from Florida and renew the passports then.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 29-Oct-09 15:11:50

hi mckenzie

Actually VA were only partly right re answering your query. Re the part of the sentence, "and for some parts of the US you do need 6 months but for Florida, as long as your passport is valid for the length of your stay, it's okay" that is actually incorrect.

This is from the FO:-

Q. Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

A. No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are travelling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

mckenzie Thu 29-Oct-09 16:50:38

thanks Attila. Perhaps I misunderstood the Virgin person and she meant for some places that Virgin fly to you need the extra 6 months rather that some places in the US.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now