Talk

Advanced search

anyone been to st lucia/maldives or on sandals hol?

(16 Posts)
fairycakes Tue 14-Jun-05 16:00:43

hello

planning to book our honeymoon this week - we narrowed it down to maldives/st lucia just wondering if anyone had any good/bad experience of these places, where you stayed, recommendations etc....

a couple we met recently recommeded sandals regency in st lucia to us but not sure about sandals believe its quite expensive but then it IS all inclusive so not sure if it ends up costing the same anyway....

thanks

Gem13 Tue 14-Jun-05 16:04:44

Maldives sounds great and I would imagine it could still do with a boost in tourism following the tsunami.

Just my immediate thought - no experience of either sadly

fairycakes Tue 14-Jun-05 16:11:32

think i might start another thread about where people went on honeymoo, that might help me too....

RTKangaMummy Tue 14-Jun-05 16:16:09

MALDIVES DEFFO BRILL

here is the link

Do not go full catering as lovely resaurant with B&B

chicagomum Tue 14-Jun-05 16:28:12

went to the maldives in 2000 for our honeymoon absolutely georgeous (as long as you are happy being exceptionally laid back - if you are the kind of people who like a bit of culture and exploring/going out and about you may find it a bit restrictive as its basically living on a beach for 2 weeks) we actually went all inclusive which covered snacks icecream!!! alcohol etc which is good after forking out for a wedding as you don't get landed with a bill at the end of the holiday we satyed at the kuramathi resort (i don't think it was affaected in dec) and we have already booked amily members to babysit in 2010 for a return visit for our 10 year anniversary!!

Pamina3 Tue 14-Jun-05 16:34:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spamsandwich Tue 14-Jun-05 20:51:52

We went to Maldives 1998. Depending on which island you visit you could treat yourselves to a transfer by seaplane. We didn't, and ended up spending 4 of the scariest hours of my life lost at sea in the pitch black. Really scarey! But well worth it in the end!!!!!

calpopscalum Tue 14-Jun-05 21:01:31

Oh go to St Lucia - Sandals is fantastic, amazing and out of this world!!! We went to Sandals halcyon for our honeymoon, we chose it rather than the other one (only 2 then) cos it was a bit cheaper and it was so gorgeous!! You can eat at any of the restaurants in any of the Sandals hotels so you get an amazing choice and the food was fantastic in all of them! the pools and beaches were fantastic and even the chanpagne is free! St Lucia is gorgeous but I would go back to St Lucia Sandals anytime!

Def recommend it!

Tabs Tue 14-Jun-05 21:45:57

I'm with Pamina3 - Banyan Tree in Maldives is one of the 2 best places I've ever been. Food and service are first class, as was the whole experience!

If you do go there, make sure you get a jacuzzi villa - you get a private garden with an outdoor jacuzzi in it - absolutely wonderful, and great for avoiding tan lines .

MandM Wed 15-Jun-05 09:25:50

Maldives, Maldives, Maldives, Maldives, Maldives!

Just got back from Meeru Island in the Maldives 2 weeks ago...it was fab! Would definitely recommend upgrading to a Jacuzzi Land Villa or a jacuzzi Water Villa (if the budget will stretch to it!) Not convinced that the All Inclusive supplement was worth it, on top of the half board price as we only ate lunch twice and don't drink vast amounts of alcohol, depends I suppose. The food, service, accommodation and weather were all out of this world.

Don't know when you're thinking of booking for, but just remember June/July and early August are rainy season!

BTW, Banyan Tree is also highly recommended by one of my colleagues.

Happy honeymooning!

McRobb Wed 15-Jun-05 12:40:02

Would definitely recommend the Maldives, is the perfect place to go for a honeymoon, can't remember the name of the island we stayed on but we had a lagoon villa which was amazing, spent the time diving, snorkelling, having massages, eating the most amazing food. Would warn that alcohol is very expensive. Arriving at Male airport was amazing, the runway has see either side of it. Boat transfer was perfect and we were accompanied by dolphins! Go for it.

Willow2 Mon 20-Jun-05 10:55:28

We rented a house - Johnson - in St Lucia and it was fab. But we are talking 13 years ago - so might be rubbish now.

minxi Mon 20-Jun-05 13:01:08

Very expensive Sandals in St Lucia but It is amazing, stayed there 5 years ago for 3 weeks. Fabulous restaurants, Japanese, French, Italian, Caribbean etc all inclusive so well worth it - came back pregnant and a stone heavier though!! Beautiful beaches, pools etc - well worth the experience.... Think we stayed in the luxury suite with 4 poster bed, separate lounge/terrace etc - ordered champagne to room every night...fab

aloha Mon 20-Jun-05 13:20:24

Met dh in St Lucia. Tbh, Sandals resorts aren't really my thing at all (stayed in several for 'work'!) but there are some fabulous resorts in St Lucia like East Winds (need to check this with dh).
St Lucia is very lush and very rural and mountainous and has a distinct culture but isn't famous for its beaches. I like it. It feels 'real', in a way the Seychelles didn't to me. Don't know about the Maldives.

struts50 Mon 20-Jun-05 13:45:13

I went to the Maldives and thought it was paradise.......perfect for honeymoons. No going topless tho - get deported for it.

Wish I could go back....

fee77 Mon 20-Jun-05 13:45:57

We went to Ari Beach in the Maldives a couple of years ago - FANBLOODYTASTIC!!! We went all inclusive, had a chalet 5 steps from the sea, went diving every morning, then read, sunbathed, slept and chilled out all afternoon. Went to the bar every night, listened to music, played cards, did crab racing and got hammered. Staff were fantastic and made you feel incredibly special.
Definately recommend the sea plane transfer - very cool!
Just had a search - it has changed it's name to white sands - and the no news no shoes motto is so true! Oh i want to go back!
check this out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now