Talk

Advanced search

Granny's 60th - whole family together for a weekend, but where?

(7 Posts)
mrsprior Mon 13-Jun-05 21:34:20

It's my mum's 60th Birthday in October and my sister and I are trying to organise the whole family to stay in a hotel/hire a cottage in the Cotswolds or nearby for a weekend. We want somewhere we could have one good (birthday) meal, room for the kids to roam (2 x 3yrs, 2 x 1 yr), pretty countryside and a spa within driving distance (Dad's paying!). We want to give mum a real treat, but don't want her to end up cooking/washing up or babysitting. Are we asking too much? Any tips gratefully received.

bossykate Mon 13-Jun-05 21:49:08

what is your budget?

places i have been to/been recommended to me:

woolley grange
lygon arms
cotswold house hotel
bruern farm cottages

but they're all quite expensive - imo.

tamum Mon 13-Jun-05 21:55:02

Calcot Manor ticks all your boxes, but it's at least as pricey as bk's suggestions.

bossykate Mon 13-Jun-05 22:09:07

centerparcs longleat?

Skribble Mon 13-Jun-05 22:21:18

We have booked a huge log cabin for next march for FIL birthday. It sleeps 14 so we will all be in the one cabin. Has woodland grounds and 2 play areas so we hope not to see the kids. Its in the area where FIL grew up. Sorry it's in Scotland so no use for you. If you are looking for self catering try likes of hosesasons etc they have a party number option in the search usually. Or google cottages in Cotswald.

I'm asking everyone to bring 2 14portion buffet type dishes for friday night and to supply their own cerals etc for breakfasts and own drink. I will be getting in the food for two lunches and dinners and splitting the costs.

I enjoy cooking for large groups and the cabin has a dishwasher, but I will be expecting everyone to help apart from MIL and FIL. Dissapearing with Mum to spa while partner gets dinner ready and Dad baby sits sounds good.

MIL and me are getting pictures and stuff together to make a scrapbook to present "this is your life" style, I hope this will be passed on and added to in the future.

calpopscalum Tue 14-Jun-05 21:06:50

We stayed in a lovely old hotel just outside Straford - fantastic food, rooms OK and they ahd a playroom for the kids right next to the restaurant - 1 large table was next to it away from the others so we had that for my mum's 60th. We all sat and ate while the kids ate then played. they even supplied teletubby videos etc for them! The food really was lovely and they also do bar meals. It was very popular with the locals too but I can't remember the name of it so will ask my dad tomorrow and post it on then for you if you're interested!

compo Tue 14-Jun-05 21:08:50

have you tried cottages4you.com or the English Cottages website? We stayed in a cottage in Norfolk for my parents wedding anniversary and had a great time - had bbq, beach near by, big garden etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now