Talk

Advanced search

Really don't know Wales, but want to book a holiday there........

(37 Posts)
Puff Mon 13-Jun-05 20:36:29

There'll be me, ds1 (4) ds2 (2) and my Aunt who is in her late 60's.

We'll be travelling from Liverpool (where my Aunt lives).

I'd like the max journey time to be 2 hours - as I don't know Wales at all, I'm wondering what my options are.

Really, the holiday is a treat for my Aunt who has been unwell.

I need to be near a good beach for the children and some places/attractions they would enjoy visiting. I'd love to find a cottage with a sea view so my Aunt can sit in the garden and enjoy the vista.

Any advice would be appreciated .

pixiefish Mon 13-Jun-05 20:37:58

Anglesey or the Lleyn Peninsula. 1 1/2 hourws from Liverpool. Beautiful beaches, plenty of accomodation, lots to do.

pixiefish Mon 13-Jun-05 20:40:32

have a look here CAT me if you want more info or email me thepixiefish at yahoo dot co dot uk

Puff Mon 13-Jun-05 21:22:33

Thank you pixiefish - I was looking at info about the Lleyn peninsula as it sounds lovely. Will also peruse the Anglesey link.

Puff Mon 13-Jun-05 22:58:47

anyone else?

moondog Mon 13-Jun-05 23:02:54

Well you know that i will say it's all fab! Second pixie's recommendation. Everything is near so you can pootle about. Must say,on way back from dh's childhood home the other day (Cardigan0 we took the coast road all the way up. Absolutley lovely!!!

Just don't start claiming that Welsh people talk English really and only talk Welsh when English people turn up!

Tell us where you decide and I will give you some more precise recommendations of sights,pubs,beaches and so on.

pixiefish Mon 13-Jun-05 23:04:27

pwy nath moondog?

Puff Mon 13-Jun-05 23:08:44

I'm leaning towards Lleyn Peninsula at the mo....

Is Anglesey really quiet? Excuse ignorance, but I am in this instance!

What's all this about Welsh talking English talking Welsh talking English md - who's rattled your kennel ?

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 23:10:05

Llandudno is lovely. (IMHO!)

Yorkiegirl Mon 13-Jun-05 23:18:28

Message withdrawn

moondog Mon 13-Jun-05 23:24:04

Oh,ridiculous claims by Mogwai (who I like btw and we kept it jovial!) that it happened with a pub full of people in Beaumaris-all switched to Welsh as soon as she walked in. It infuriates me because it is only ever the Welsh who are supposed to do this (never the Irish,Greeks,French,Italians) and the assumption that people care enough about the person in question to all code switch is just.......(Moondog self ignites in outrage)!!!!!!

Llandudno is lovely,appreciate it now I'm older.Had a lovely Saturday there last week....dd had a donkey ride,drove round the Orme,saw Punch&Judy show,looked up the ample thighs of a multitude of gusset flashing OAPs taking in the sun......

Only problem is that it isn't very Welsh and is a cultural desert.(Possibly reasons to go??? )
Nice for the littlies and the oldies though.In any case,in easy reach of the Lleyn and Anglesey if you base yourself there.

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 23:30:02

This is a better site for looking at Llandudno, actually - has fab pics - and, btw, "Llandudno lies between two notable carboniferous headlands, the Great Orme and the Little Orme".

(I will be asking questions later.)

moondog Mon 13-Jun-05 23:32:50

You crack me up Janh! Do you know everything about everything???
I bet everyone wants you on the pub quiz team.....

moondog Mon 13-Jun-05 23:33:49

Prestatyn is very sunny yorkiegirl and a lot nicer than people think! Glad you enjoyed it.

Yorkiegirl Mon 13-Jun-05 23:35:07

Message withdrawn

moondog Mon 13-Jun-05 23:38:50

Does them good-cleans 'em out good and proper!

Puff Tue 14-Jun-05 00:06:10

Thanks everyone !

md, will request detailed itinerary later!

TwinSetAndPearls Tue 14-Jun-05 00:37:51

WE went to wales last year over easter, we rented a cottage on the Cambrian coast.

PLaces I would recommend are
greenwood forest park probably our favourite, a unique family day out archery, rides, art and crafts, face painting.

Port Meirrion a bizzarre yet beautiful place which makes some wonderful holiady snaps. You could tell your friends you had been to Italy

Snowdonia of course, you can get a train all the way to the top if your legs won't carry you.

happymerryberries Tue 14-Jun-05 07:00:39

And the LLeyn pennisular is the driest place in the UK....or so I was told when I did my 'O' level geography!

TwinSetAndPearls Tue 14-Jun-05 10:02:17

Just remebered Caernarfon which of course has a beautiful castle but for little ones on a rainy day it has the best soft play I hve ever been to set in a church, lots of different areas and some fabulous huge slides that my daughter loves and a great cafe.

Can't remember what is was called but being a church it was easy to find, was signposted, am sure welsh mumsnetters ould help.

teeavee Tue 14-Jun-05 10:26:40

my sister has bought a family 1 year ticket to greenwood forest park, and goes there a lLOT with her kids - they never tire of it - the annual ticket is v. cheap too (tip for N. Walian mums!)

the play centre in the church is called HWYLFAN, bang in the centre of Caernarfon, can't miss it.

Pen Llyn is great for the beaches.

snowdonia steam railway might be nice too - take a little train in porthmadog, lovely scenery etc???

teeavee Tue 14-Jun-05 10:28:26

Llandudno still has donkeys on the beach, I believe!

teeavee Tue 14-Jun-05 10:30:12

llandudno still has donkeys on the beach I believe - as well as about 1,000,000,000 pensioners....................(not that I'm ageyst or anything)
I would prefer the north-west, personally

moondog Tue 14-Jun-05 21:04:54

My house overlooks the castle and the quay in Caernarfon if you go,Puff. Can't miss it,one of a row of different coloured Georgian townhouses! (Trying to sell it actually,if anyone is interested......)

lucy5 Tue 14-Jun-05 21:07:46

We rented a cottage on a farm years ago, somewhere in Dyffed (sp) I cant remember the name. It was near where Dylan Thomas wrote and was buried, it was a lovely area with beautiful countryside and close to the beach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now