Talk

Advanced search

Taking your own food on plane?

(21 Posts)
mooseloose Wed 21-Oct-09 21:21:35

I haven't booked meals. Travel agent said you can take your own food on. DH says you can't! Please can anyone clarify. I was going to make a packed lunch to take (but no drinks).
Thanks

BikeRunSki Wed 21-Oct-09 21:28:20

I have taken a packed lunch on a plane. Last did in July this year, on Jet2.

Horton Wed 21-Oct-09 21:46:38

Course you can. You can take anything you like. I always take things like fruit and hardboiled eggs and crisps because they never have fruit available and charge you a fortune for snacks.

YanknHeadsOffCocks Wed 21-Oct-09 21:49:34

Why wouldn't you be able to take food? Think your DH is thinking of the cinema. I always take food, and drinks that I buy on the other side of security.

satonthesofa Wed 21-Oct-09 21:49:36

You can take on a packed lunch but not a drink from home. Only one that you buy after passing through the scanner. The 100ml fluid rule.

SixtyFootDoll Wed 21-Oct-09 21:50:33

Food is fine
Drinks are not!

Monkeygirl69 Wed 21-Oct-09 21:51:44

I work for an airline, stewardess/cart tart. And yep you can take food on. Fruit is a good option and take a large bottle of your own water as plane water smells funny.

mooseloose Wed 21-Oct-09 22:03:42

Thanks girls. i will make some sarnies then - I laughed at Yankn about dh thinking he is at cinema smile

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Wed 21-Oct-09 22:06:23

You can take on food but not liquids/gels -- so yoghurt or jelly would probably be confiscated, but sarnies will be fine.

mooseloose Wed 21-Oct-09 22:08:03

Thanks prof, I prob would have put a yoghurt in....

cat64 Wed 21-Oct-09 22:09:26

Message withdrawn

Drayford Wed 21-Oct-09 22:13:33

I almost always take my own food! Much nicer than inflight meals. Don't make the mistake that I made travelling from India recently and pack your food in foil as they made me undo all of it at security in mumbai and examined it in detail! My mistake!!

TrillianSlasher Wed 21-Oct-09 22:19:35

No liquid, but you can take solid food.

Some countries you can't take food in, but you can take it on the plane.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 22-Oct-09 07:18:39

Your DH is wrong.

You can take your own food on a plane (and I certainly do) but there are a couple of restrictions re this mainly to do with the security checkpoints.

No liquid type food though like yogurt will be allowed through the security checkpoint - unless you can buy such foodstuff airside to take on board. You can buy water and food airside to take on the aircraft.

DadInsteadofMum Thu 22-Oct-09 09:34:33

In the states it is very common place and you can even see people unwrapping large meals (much beyond a few sarnies) often that they have cooked at home and manged to keep warm until they got on the plane.

Bucharest Thu 22-Oct-09 09:36:42

You can take any quantity of liquids you want as long as you've bought it at exhorbitantly hiked prices once you've gone through security and are airside.

I always take packed lunch type stuff...

Nefret Thu 22-Oct-09 10:55:31

You can take what food you want. You can also take whatever drinks you want if you buy them after security. We take snacks from home and get bottles of water from Boots or WH Smith once we are in the departure lounge.

DadInsteadofMum Thu 22-Oct-09 11:13:09

Bucharest - drinks bought in Boots airside will still be a fraction of the price Ryanair want to charge you.

YanknHeadsOffCocks Thu 22-Oct-09 20:23:58

cat64 --the cinema tries to stop you taking food in, most places will have signs up saying food not purchased on the premises cannot be consumed there. Not that it really stops anyone, though I have heard (through a thread on MN) of bags being searched at the cinema!

On planes there is no expectation/rule about purchasing food only from the airline.

wonderingwondering Thu 22-Oct-09 20:28:32

We always take our own food - on long haul we take breakfast cereal and get milk on the plane, and sarnies, fruit, crisps and biscuits for lunch or tea. Big bottles of water bought airside.

I find plane food inedible and long haul with 2 DC's and no food is not a good experience!

cat64 Thu 22-Oct-09 23:42:05

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now