Talk

Advanced search

Egypt with a 16 month old and 6 months pregnant

(10 Posts)
curlychloe Mon 19-Oct-09 15:23:24

Anyone got any thoughts on doing a tour around Egypt (including a few days in the western desert) with a 16 month old baby, and being 6 months pregnant.

We'd have a driver and 4x4 (with baby seat), be staying in good hotels all nights but one camping in the desert.

So far midwife, insurance firm, tour company and many friends think it'd be fine. But I then went and put a post on the Lonely Planet discussion forum, and those intrepid young travelling sorts all seemed to think I'd lost the plot, would be putting myself and baby at risk etc...

Anyone got any thoughts?

corblimeymadam Mon 19-Oct-09 15:35:32

Message withdrawn

moaningminniewhingesagain Mon 19-Oct-09 15:42:10

I wouldn't, but because I am bit phobic about D and V and it seems a high risk destination for that!

angel1976 Mon 19-Oct-09 21:02:24

curlychloe - We discounted Egypt for the very reason of the risk of getting D&V (that was my only worry being pregnant)! In the end, we went to the Maldives (a bit further - 10 hour flight as opposed to 5 for Egypt) with my then 18-month-old DS and being 30 weeks pregnant myself. The flights weren't as bad as we thought it would be and we had the most fabulous holiday ever! It really was the best holiday we have had and we stayed at the Bandos Island Resort. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. We thought DS would be bored but he absolutely loved the swimming, the beach and everything! And they had a free kids' club, which we felt comfortable enough to leave DS at for 2 hours everyday while I got massages and went swimming etc. Good luck with whatever you decide. smile

Sturl Tue 20-Oct-09 08:40:38

I took my 2yr old daughter to Egypt in Jul (Hot month) and my partner was pregnant.

We didn't travel through Egypt and only spent a week in Cairo.
It was brutally hot but my partner and daughter coped just as well as i did. Obviously my little girl had sun hat, sunblock and loose fitting clothes on. Making sure she drank plenty of water was another must.

It was a couple of years back and the huge problem was avian flu, despite that and the endless foods we were advised to avoid the only really problem was no taxis having seat belts and the fact the only rule on the road was 'make sure you sound the horn for every possible reason'

Also expect a lot of hassle from the locals but this is not limited to traveling families its a way of life in Egypt.

As for worrying about D&V i was the only one to get it and it was after we had got back to the UK (I was eating everything so its quite understandable why i got it) It lasted for about 2 days and was awful. However, to use this as a reason not to visit such an amazing country such as Egypt is something i can't quite understand.
Whatever country you go to there will be some risk or another.

My tips would be:
- Plan to visit Museums etc between 11am and 3pm, that way you miss the hottest part of the day.
- Visit in the winter months where it is much cooler.
- Avoid Ice, Salad, Poultry, Water (Bottled is fine, check for tampered seal)
- Drink loads of water.
- Take Dioralyte if you do get the runs, but not Immodium. The reason is that Immodium slows down the cycle in the bowels, this keeps the bacteria in the body.

You will have a fantastic time, and i would love to go back.

sarah293 Tue 20-Oct-09 08:45:39

Message withdrawn

angel1976 Tue 20-Oct-09 11:44:57

I agree with Riven. Egypt is still high on our list of places to visit in the next few years but I would wait till the two DCs are old enough to enjoy the sightseeing... Even in the Maldives, we couldn't really do things like the island-hopping trip or snorkelling trips as it would have been too intense for DS to spend half the day travelling about by boat and being in the hot sun!

Save Egypt when they can understand a bit more and just go somewhere nice and relaxing for now!

Lionstar Tue 20-Oct-09 11:59:06

Egypt very hot and dirty. Almost impossible to avoid bugs - best tip though is be careful about handling money as it is an excellent harbour for germs and tends to be overlooked, especially in restaurant type situations. Take lots of antibac gel and wipes, and also your own cutlery.

Don't accept drinks with ice-cubes or any salad/uncooked fruit or veg (unless you have washed it yourself). Stay hydrated.

Also as tourists you will get hassled by touts and street vendors everywhere, and the hard sell in every papyrus/alabaster/perfume ripoff shop museum your guide will inevitably take you to. This can be extremely wearing - more so I'd imagine with bored toddler and preggers.

Finally if thinking of visiting any toombs, they are EXTREMELY humid and hot - you might find this unbearable, I came over all faint and was not pg.

liliputlady Tue 20-Oct-09 16:16:00

I wouldn't even consider it!!! I have never forgotten a bout of D and V I had whilst on holiday somewhere on a par with Egypt - I really thought I was dying. Luckily that was before children and it made me really cautious about where I take them on holiday now. Obviously, nowhere is risk-free, but I think there are probably many more child-friendly destinations.

bacon Mon 26-Oct-09 13:25:28

I went to Sharm in April and it was boiling and even then they said it wasnt the hotest! You couldnt walk around in the day, the sand was boiling. Wonderful holiday (on my own when single) but with the risk of tummy problems also have to add that being pregnant with the heat would make any bowels sensitive. Travelling with a youngest in a country like that doesnt sound appealing. I'm off to Tenerife with my two boys (4 and 7months) and keeping all adventure hols for when teenagers. Sounds hell to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now