Talk

Advanced search

Getting a good passport photo for a small baby

(22 Posts)
YanknCock Sun 18-Oct-09 14:20:22

Just been through this twice and thought I would share! DS needed passport pictures for his UK and US passports and I've just had them done while he was 6-7 weeks old.

His UK passport photo was taken with him lying on the floor on a white mat. Unfortunately his head kept turning to the side, but I was able to get him looking straight on using a muslin bunched up under his neck. He's basically mid-scream in the photo, but the guy said they aren't too fussy with baby pictures here.

US has different requirements and are a lot stricter; according to the photographer they want the baby's eyes open and mouth closed. Given our first experience, I wasn't sure how I'd be able to do this---then had a flash of inspiration. Every time I've given DS Infacol, he opens his eyes wide in surprise and purses his lips! So I just gave him a little bit, got my hands out of the way quickly, and the guy snapped the photo on the first try! It looks perfect!

sarah293 Sun 18-Oct-09 14:50:12

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 18-Oct-09 14:54:43

Photobox have an option for US passport size photos.

And tip for going to Embassy. If you are b/fing, but you may be asked where the formula is for the baby hmm as I was when we went though security.

Take a sling and not a buggy. One of the armed Met guys did end up helping me with the buggy up the steps, but I got a bit nervous with gun near DD's face. PFB wink

LeonieBooCreepy Sun 18-Oct-09 15:03:37

Message withdrawn

LeonieBooCreepy Sun 18-Oct-09 15:06:00

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sun 18-Oct-09 15:30:28

Message withdrawn

YanknCock Sun 18-Oct-09 17:50:37

Oh I sooooooo agree about the sling. As it was, I was at the U.S. Embassy for over 3 hours (though it says 1 hour on the website). My 'appointment' meant nothing at all. There are stairs everywhere, and even a few down into the toilets with no ramp. I ended up helping another mum carry her pram (while carrying the baby in the sling and a heavy backpack). It's a horrible place, I hope I never have to go again!

LeonieBooCreepy Sun 18-Oct-09 21:45:46

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Mon 19-Oct-09 08:04:10

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 19-Oct-09 08:56:30

got handcuffs wink

sarah293 Mon 19-Oct-09 09:05:08

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 19-Oct-09 09:13:22

Are you kidding? DS1 has an interview at MIT?

sarah293 Mon 19-Oct-09 09:45:00

Message withdrawn

mumofsatan Mon 19-Oct-09 09:54:06

Bloody nightmare going to the US Embassy.
DH and I went with DD (then aged about 1 1/2) a few years ago to sort out his ITIN number.
The security staff confiscated DD's toy phone as it was 'a phone'. No matter how many times we pointed out it was a toy from ELC and only capable of phoning a Lion and a Panda they wouldn't see sense. Numpties.

EachPeachPearMum Mon 19-Oct-09 09:57:41

white towel/sheet over car seat, baby awake- no problems.

orchid83 Mon 19-Oct-09 10:20:36

we used paspic.com - absolutely brilliant.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 19-Oct-09 10:50:07

shock at toy phone!

riven, meant, 'are you kidding that your DS has an interview for MIT?'

sarah293 Mon 19-Oct-09 13:11:01

Message withdrawn

1dilemma Mon 19-Oct-09 13:18:35

PMSL at the phone

must have been a really good imitation (I'm looking at the red and white plastic things with tinkly London Bridge is falling down for their ringtone currently lying on my floor!)

CMOTdibbler Mon 19-Oct-09 14:03:27

Good news is that DH had his Harvard PhD interview in the UK - so DS1 would prob be OK

mumofsatan Mon 19-Oct-09 16:04:23

actually, I got it wrong about the phone, it is a lion and a penguin, not a panda you can phone. Little blue and green plastic flip up one. Loons

mumofsatan Mon 19-Oct-09 16:06:47

Actually, you have to laugh at the american security sometimes. A few years ago I went to NY and went across to see the Statue of Liberty where the security was quite strict. I set off the metal detectors and explained that I had metal pins in my spine following spinal surgery.
The female security guards reply was 'can you remove them please'
err no, it took a team of 4 surgeons about 8 hours to put them in grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now