Talk

Advanced search

Bath ; Top tips please

(18 Posts)
ohnoherewego Sat 17-Oct-09 19:50:04

We're going to take the kids for a couple of days in the first week of Nov as my DD will still be on half term. Anyone know any decent budget accommodation? Any other tips? DCs 8 and 10

luciemule Sat 17-Oct-09 21:57:18

Great TravelLodge right in the centre. It's in a beautiful old building with views over the city roofs. The decor was a bit tired but okay TL standard really. Loads of great places nearby to eat too and not far from the big car park (Catherine's Place - can't remember but think it's called that?)

janeite Sat 17-Oct-09 22:01:00

Girls or boys? Girls may like the Costume Museum. The Travelodge is very central and there is a decent Indian restaurant just across the road!

ohnoherewego Sun 18-Oct-09 17:14:27

Thanks guys. I have aboy and a girl;any other suggestions?

pipWereRabbit Sun 18-Oct-09 17:30:05

The open top bus tour is fab (especially as it's quite hilly).

We had afternoon tea at the pump rooms, very atmospheric.

And the roman baths are brilliant.

No. 1 Royal Crescent has been restored as it was in Georgian times and is worth an explore - it's not a stuffy museum but interesting to see how all those lovely houses would have looked when new.

ThingOneofYourNightmares Sun 18-Oct-09 18:30:46

There's another travelodge now near the railway station. I expect it is less tired as they only took it over last year and were going to refurbish it. It's not so central but Bath is small and you can walk all over. Bath is mainly B&Bs, most of which are reasonable quality but they aren't normally cheap!

If it's not raining, Victoria Park has a great adventure golf course at the end near the City Centre. Roman Baths are fab.

Bath is good for eating out. You can eat virtually whatever you want with DCs. There are very few places where you would feel unwelcome.

The open top bus is great. Both routes are fun but it will be cold upstairs on the skyline route in November.

I would also recommend lots of walking round looking at buildings, and actually stopping to look at some of them. There are fantastic doorways and windows.

And a couple of hours for you lounging around in the spa?

saggyhairyarse Sun 18-Oct-09 20:54:22

Have a look here:

http://visitbath.co.uk/site/ideas-and-inspiration/family-friendly-bath/things-to-do

Ther e is lovely park if it is dry.

ohnoherewego Sun 18-Oct-09 22:53:18

I wish Thingone!

luciemule Mon 19-Oct-09 09:16:26

The huge play aprk is a big must if you've got young kids. We were there without kids which was lovely but they would have loved if if they'd have been there. Dpeending on how old the kids are, the roman baths have a fab audio guide for kids. I wouldn't have said it would be good for under 5s though (the audio guide that is). Allow yourselves lots of time though - it's quite a lot of info to take in and there are lots of rooms/artifacts to see.

BarakObamasTransitVan Fri 23-Oct-09 17:06:59

I second what others have said about the big play park, which is in Victoria Park. You'd have a lovely walk from town past the Circus and the Crescent to get there. The Botanical Gardens are also in Victoria Park and will be lovely, it being Autumn. The dcs might not love them but it's free, so no worries there!
The dcs will probably enjoy the Roman Baths and even your ds might find the Costume Museum bearable wink
There are hundreds of restaurants - lots of independants so no need to resort to Pizza Hut (unless you want to).
Oh, the big carpark is Charlotte Street Carpark btw.
I'd say that pretty much anything mentioned in the link hairyarse posted is a winner, tbh. Enjoy!

claricebeansmum Fri 23-Oct-09 17:11:30

DD and I are off for a girly weekend to Bath tomorrow. We are doing a workshop at the Bead Shop first but sshhh it's a secret!

Is the Jamie Oliver Italian restuarant worth going to?

BarakObamasTransitVan Fri 23-Oct-09 17:37:40

I've not been there, Clarice. Apparently there are verrrrry long queues to get in - they don't take bookings below a certain number. Having said that you could take turns waiting while the others go and look in the nearby shops (there's a giant Jigsaw nearby, a Cath Kidston, a Habitat, a Lakeland (I love Lakeland blush) - all sorts. All within a few minutes.

plantsitter Fri 23-Oct-09 17:45:34

Are you going by train? here are some brilliant deals if so.

BarakObamasTransitVan Fri 23-Oct-09 17:55:42

Oh Clarice - go here. About as far away from Primark as you can get (by which I mean boutiquey and frou frou and, ummm, pricey) but luverly stuff to look at.

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Fri 23-Oct-09 17:56:48

Went to the Jamie Oliver last week and we had a lovely lunch.

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Fri 23-Oct-09 17:57:32

And no the queues aren't bad they have lots of seating.

claricebeansmum Fri 23-Oct-09 17:57:45

That looks lovely, Barak. DD and I have agreed we will batter her fathers plastic grin.

Can't do by train as the journey is massively stupid from where we live. I would have much preferred to - love the train.

BarakObamasTransitVan Fri 23-Oct-09 18:03:57

I can't quite believe I admitted to loving Lakeland.
Parking is a big problem Clarice. Is there parking at your hotel?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now