Talk

Advanced search

Car seat for use in taxi whilst on holiday???

(19 Posts)
Hulababy Sun 12-Jun-05 19:49:30

We are off to Dublin for two nihts at the end of July.

We will need to do taxi transfers between the airport and the hotel (a few miles I think, but not that many), plus from home to UK airport (about 5 miles).

DD will be 3y 4m at the time; slightly above average in height but only just.

Our car seats really are too big and bulky to take. Besides they cost a heck of a lot of money (isofix ones) and I really don't want to risk them getting bashed about in the airplane or by the handlers. They are not suitable to use on the plane, as they use full seat belts, and are not suitable for use with just a lap belt routing.

I really don't want to spend out a lot of money on another car seat, as we have to buy another one shortly anyway - but wil be getting another isofix one at the time (not till about Christmas time though).

Don't think we know anyone with one to borrow that would be suitable either.

What do the wise mumsnetters recommend?

ambrosia Sun 12-Jun-05 19:52:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aaliyahsmum Sun 12-Jun-05 19:54:44

dont know bout dublin taxis but my dp is a taxi driver and his company have booster seats and car seats in boot for use

Hayls Sun 12-Jun-05 19:55:35

I've been to Dublin before and seem to remember the bus services were pretty good... Do you know anybody who could lend you a lightweight one ?(obviously if you know its history)

FWIW, you probably won't need any taxis whilst in Dublin itself

Mum2Ela Sun 12-Jun-05 20:01:04

Am I the only one that puts DD (2yrs 8 mths) in just the usual seat belt at times like this? Its sits across her shoulder ok. Or if I remember I take these two pads that sit one on the lap and one across the shoulder which definitely then keep the chest belt away from her neck on her shoulder iyswim.

Mum2girls Sun 12-Jun-05 20:05:10

Mum2ela - no I do the same or put DD in between my legs on the seat and wrap the belt round both of us.

vickiyumyum Sun 12-Jun-05 20:12:50

if you really want a DD on a car seat then i would probably buy a cheap booster seat to take. you can get tehm for about £10.
2 mums - i do the same too. in crete we used a taxi to get home some nights and put the seat belt around ds2 who was 2y 4months. i would never do this at home but in situations were you don't know that you are going to be in a car, i don't see any alternative.

Ladymuck Sun 12-Jun-05 20:12:54

Talk to your UK taxi company - mine will take our car seats and store them whilst we're away, and so they're in the minicab when they collect us from the airport.

Also I would try a couple of minicab companies in Ireland - you may find someone who will have a selection of car seats.

Orinoco Sun 12-Jun-05 20:52:06

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sun 12-Jun-05 20:58:25

LOL orinioco. This is just for 2 nights as a treat for MIL's 60th birthday. We are telling her the night before (And yes, she will cope with no notice) Flights were 99p (plus taxes) each way!!!

Thought about buses, but our flight on the way back is very early, so not sure they'd be buses about.

anchovies Sun 12-Jun-05 21:00:39

We bought this one for about £40 and take it with us abroad. Plastic so not as breakable as the polystyrene type and can be used as a separate booster seat when ds grows out of his isofix. Very light, we just bought a laundry bag from ikea for £3 to put it in, goes into 2 parts very easily.

Hulababy Sun 12-Jun-05 21:00:45

I did wonder about a booster cushion, but concerned about safety too. At 3yo would she be safe?

One of our seats is a booster with back (but isofix) and does use normal car seat belt, which she is fine with. But don't want to take this as it was expensve and I am not prepared for it to get thrown or bashed about.

Anyone know if you can pre-book Dublin taxis from the airport, with car seats included?

Hulababy Sun 12-Jun-05 21:02:40

Trying to avoid buying a new booster style seat if I can anchovies, as we are replacing DD's Britax seat (in my car) for another isofix booster chair (like DH has in his car) around Christmas time.

anchovies Sun 12-Jun-05 21:06:26

Where are you, I'm in Manchester if you're anywhere near.

Failing that I suppose you'd have to contact taxi firms, I'm sure some must have them.

Hulababy Sun 12-Jun-05 21:07:28

Sheffield, sadly.

I know someone in Ireland who might be willing to phone taxi firm for me. Going to contact her later on about it. Might be easiest option.

Yorkiegirl Sun 12-Jun-05 21:14:51

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sun 12-Jun-05 21:19:30

My msn isn't wrking!!! Neither is the letter n my keybard between i and p!!! Argh, drpping that red wine n it really has caused damage!

Can I get back t yu, r e-mail yu when I have it srted YG?

Argh, what can I d abut the missing letter?????

Yorkiegirl Sun 12-Jun-05 21:23:01

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sun 12-Jun-05 21:23:21

Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: