Talk

Advanced search

Off to Crete on hols next week, anyone been in late Oct before?

(4 Posts)
MyPetSnail Tue 13-Oct-09 20:36:40

We're going to Rethymnon (north west) with 8 YO DD, and wondered how many things will still be open?

The weather is looking OK smile but I'd be really grateful if you could tell us anything about this bit of Crete.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 13-Oct-09 20:46:14

Yes we went there last week in Oct and everything was. You want to walk the gorge if you can - but take the boat halfway if you can't manage 20 odd miles. Tis well worth it. There are some really good fish restaurants on the corner of the bay. The drivers are mad - be careful. The beach is lovely. There is a really nice pastry shop a bit to the west of the main town.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 15-Oct-09 10:09:01

We did about ten years ago. All that I remember was that it's really really windy.
Everything was open too.

NancyBotwin Thu 15-Oct-09 10:15:55

Was there about mid-October many years ago - to Rethymon too! The weather was absolutely fine for us - still very hot during the day (too hot at midday to stay on the beach) but think the evenings were cool so bring some warmer clothes if you will be eating outside, etc. The locals thought it was winter though and were all wearing jumpers during the day!

I really loved it there and is somewhere I definitely want to go back to. Recommend the gorge walk too. We also went to a monastery at the top of the hill which was good (though iirc there was a building with lots of skulls which might be best avoided with your dd!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now