Talk

Advanced search

New Turkish Lira (hope that is the right name)...where can you get them

(15 Posts)
ScaryFucker Mon 12-Oct-09 12:43:54

Am off to Turkey next week.

I think the currency is New Turkish Lira.

My question is, does anyone know if you can bu them over the counter at the Post Office, without pre-ordering ?

Cheers

Oh, and if anyone else has been in the last week of October, please reassure me the weather will be sunny and warm smile

Nefret Tue 13-Oct-09 11:20:42

The currency is now just Turkish lira, it was new Turkish lira for a while but they dropped the 'new' bit earlier this year.

You should be able to get lira from the Post Office, I usually get mine from M&S though as they have a pretty good rate. Don't get too much though, just enough for the first day and then change the rest when you get there as you will get a much better exchange rate in resort.

Which part of Turkey are you going to? I used to live in Bodrum and the weather was always lovely in October, it does get a bit chilly in the evenings sometimes so take a cardi with you just in case. At the moment there is a bit of rain over Turkey but it usually only lasts for a day or so and then clears again so it should be fine when you go.

We were in Turkey in Augsut and it was VERY hot then. have a great trip!

ScaryFucker Tue 13-Oct-09 15:12:03

oh thanks, I thought I wasn't going to get a reply ! Should be ok then for the New Turkish Lira

We are going to the Marmaris palace Hotel, between Marmaris and Icmeler.

Have never been to Turkey before, hope the weather holds !! And I always take cardi's, I am a starved rat grin

mrsfossil Tue 13-Oct-09 17:26:35

Hope you have a nice time scary, we are off to Turkey next week as well We are going to oludeniz so fingers crossed for the weather.

Do you know about the entry tax into turkey. its £10 sterling per person.

maize Tue 13-Oct-09 17:27:29

People have told me that they prefer Sterling in Turkey.

eggshapedbanana Tue 13-Oct-09 17:39:45

I love Turkey. Mrsfossil we have been to Olu Deniz many times (and in October) and it is absolutely fabby. It is right that they do prefer sterling and we even asked for restaurant bills to be converted into sterling and paid that way.

ScaryFucker Tue 13-Oct-09 18:05:45

nope, didn't know that mrsfossil, thanks

egg, what has your experience been of the weather in (last week) October ?

eggshapedbanana Tue 13-Oct-09 18:10:18

It was a few years back but it was really hot. Literally couldn't walk on the sand without shoes as it was burning my feet. Hope you are as lucky. The Turkish people are lovely.

ScaryFucker Tue 13-Oct-09 18:33:14

ohhhh, getting excited now

thanks egg grin

mooseloose Tue 13-Oct-09 20:39:48

I am going to olu deniz next weekend too

ScaryFucker Tue 13-Oct-09 20:47:32

< holds hands with moose and prays for good weather >

grin

mooseloose Tue 13-Oct-09 21:03:36

dh mate just come back and said was 30 every day. i looked online and it was 25, that will do me!

ScaryFucker Wed 14-Oct-09 14:58:09

< starts countdown >

only 9 more sleeps to go !!!!!

nicolasmum Wed 14-Oct-09 15:39:58

All post offices hold TL now but you will get a better rate in Turkey. The money has changed this year and all "old money" will be no good after 31st Dec so watch your money you get given in Turkey and get rid of all the old. The "new" money[notes]are slightly smaller.

ScaryFucker Wed 14-Oct-09 16:28:33

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now