Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me find somewhere nice in Cyprus please? I'm getting really disheartened looking at holiday websites, don't think we're ever going to find a nice holiday <wail>!!

(32 Posts)
MadreInglese Fri 09-Oct-09 13:18:15

I've wasted spent over an hour going crosseyed trawling through holiday websites trying to find a nice Cyprus holiday for the Oct 1/2 term for DP, DD (11) and me, to just chill out in the sun with a few good books.

We haven't had a holiday for years and DP really fancies Cyprus so I was all excited looking at the websites but I can't find anything that doesn't look like a Butlins in the sun.

Anything that looks quite nice (eg Kyrenia sounds like a nice harbour town) either has horrendous trip adviser reviews or just has white haired people in the hotel photos and adult-only pools.

Please can someone recommend a nice hotel or villa or apartment (or flipping camp site at this rate!!) where they have stayed in Cyprus, ideally with a pool and without a noisy night scene or drunken vomiting stag dos or hyper blue coat kids entertainers.

Does such a place exist??

<desperate face>

MadreInglese Fri 09-Oct-09 13:23:24

(nothing wrong with Butlins btw, just not the kind of holiday we're looking for this time)

mosschops30 Fri 09-Oct-09 13:31:28

We stayed at the St George Hotel in Paphos last year, just me and my mum for a week.

It was beautiful, very relaxing, no loud music by the pool all day type of thing, excellent staff, a very nice atmnsphere between guests and we made lots of friends whilst there.
Evening entertainment was in a upstairs room, which meant if you just wanted a quiet drink and chat (as we did) you could do that. Was also impresssed that even though you can smoke everywhere in Cyprus, most of the British went outside to smoke.

Its a short busride into Paphos which has some lovely shops to walk round. We went in March so no louts anywhere, and I doubt there would be in Oct either.

Its a Thomson Platinum propety, good luck smile

MadreInglese Fri 09-Oct-09 13:41:17

<big sigh>

thankyou, that sounds lovely smile

BlingLoving Fri 09-Oct-09 13:42:48

Try this

RubyBooBerry Fri 09-Oct-09 13:43:48

Avoid Paphos like the plague - believe me, if you don't want timeshare touts ruining your holiday. The beaches there are rubbish too. Loads of villas being built all over, the resort is being spoiled.

I lived there for 4 years and have been holidaying there for 25 so I know what and where is good! smile

Kyrenia is in the Occupied part of Northern Cyprus, Greek Cypriots were forced out of their homes 35 years sgo, so personally I find it offensive that UK Tour Operators feature it blush - but that's just my opinion. I have Greek Cypriot friends who lost everything but the clothes they stood up in and had to run away from their homes and for cover through cornfields with Turkish Troops firing at them.

But to answer your post, I worked in every single resort in Cyprus and I can honestly say the East Coast is wonderful. Protaras has gorgeous beaches, there is a lovely little self catering place called Chrystalla and also DeCosta Bay is really nice. Both lower end of market.

Ayia Napa is not all lager louts, it has the best beach, fabulous history, a beautiful monastery in the centre and a rather brilliant waterpark. You can email me at louisa _ read at hotmail dot com if it helps!
grin

Sorry for rant!

MadreInglese Fri 09-Oct-09 13:45:32

Ah bling, a website with real-looking photos, thankyou! smile

MadreInglese Fri 09-Oct-09 13:46:20

I didn't know that Ruby shock

Thanks for the tips

RubyBooBerry Fri 09-Oct-09 13:53:25

Hey you're welcome. What date and where from and how much and what board basis? I'll have a look for you if you like grin

mosschops30 Fri 09-Oct-09 13:54:46

Ruby I didnt find that at all in Paphos, I underatand it can be roudy in high season, but I went in March and OP is going in October so similar in ends of season.

Madre if youre still interested the St. George would be far enough out of paphos even in high season for you not to know anything about louts!

AddictedtoCrunchies Fri 09-Oct-09 13:56:13

I second that about Paphos and the link to Peyia. I lived in peyia and it's lovely although it's getting quite built up now. Coral Bay is nice which is about 20 mins north of Paphos. Latsi is nice too - lots of lovely fish restaurants.

Good luck and enjoy.

frogs Fri 09-Oct-09 13:58:00

This place is beautiful and very atmospheric.

You will need a car though, it's slightly up above the coast.

MadreInglese Fri 09-Oct-09 13:59:01

looking at 24/25 Oct for a week, at least B&B probably, 4/5 ish star rating (or equivalent)

I think the main problem is I have NO IDEA what any of the areas are like, so when a search brings up 45 possibilities I'm just stumped

Should stop stressing and just book SOMETHING I know, but as we haven't been away for years there's the added pressure of finding somewhere really nice

I also wonder whether trip advisor is just full of moanies!

MrsMorgan Fri 09-Oct-09 13:59:18

I no nothing about Cyprus, but a friend has not long ago came back from a 2 week all inclusive holiday there and loved it. They have rebooked for next year.

They stayed at Anastacia Beach hotel/apartments. They didn't have one bad thing to say about the place.

RubyBooBerry Fri 09-Oct-09 13:59:35

I didnt say it was rowdy, I just said the beaches are poor, and they really, really are shingly and yuck. I found I had to drive to Coral Bay to get a decent place to soak up the sun..however Paphos does have some cool history and interesting caves.

East Coast resorts and beaches are wonderful - wish I could afford to go back now as it's got soooo expensive sad - though not as much history, but there is a gorheous village called Paralimni which is near where I lived.

In all resorts you'd need to be aware that Universities are also on holiday, so there may be younger types all over!

MadreInglese Fri 09-Oct-09 14:00:53

wow frogs that looks AMAZING!

RubyBooBerry Fri 09-Oct-09 14:01:09

Agree, I was there when Anastasia was built and it really is nice. My in-laws stayed there when I got married there.

MrsMorgan Fri 09-Oct-09 14:02:10

here

MadreInglese Fri 09-Oct-09 14:05:03

Loads of info on those links, thanks everyone! Will spend some more time looking over the weekend.

LoveMyGirls Fri 09-Oct-09 14:05:08

Not in cyprus but we have just returned from our honeymoon in Corfu, we stayed in a hotel called the three brothers in sidari and it was really lovely, it is on a main street but the windows were thick enough to drown out noise imo, there are plenty of shops, bars etc

The hotel is right next to the beach and has a lovely pool but it's the staff who make it so amazing nothing is too much trouble.

We went with thompsons and it was fab. Not sure what the weather will be like, when we went it was very hot the first week then a bit cloudy the second week. I really reccomend it to anyone who wants to go somewhere and be welcomed like part of the family.

There are some nice trips too, we went on a bbq boat trip to mainland greece with Theo and also to belle vista via a distillery, monastry and a lovely bay with caves you can visit by taxi boat.

It was heaven!

Bumblelion Fri 09-Oct-09 14:17:00

Two years ago we went to Adams Beach in Nissi Bay - fairly near Ayia Napa and it was wonderful. I went with my mum and 3 children (then aged 14, 10 and 6). A great time was had by all and I would thoroughly recommend it. The weather was wonderful (although it was August) and the animation team were fantastic. Not only did me and my mum have a great time, but so did my children.

RubyBooBerry Fri 09-Oct-09 14:18:11

Olympic Lagoon Resort on Nissi Beach in Ayia Napa is about £1700 with Thomson. Lush hotel but a long walk (nice walk though) into the centre of Ayia Napa.
need to click onto Kanika Hotels and select Olympic Lagoon

Chrystalla in Protaras is £1666 with Olympic Hols. link here

frogs Fri 09-Oct-09 14:30:37

Yes, it was lovely. V. v. hot when we were there (august), but probably nicely warm in October. The inside is on the simple but tasteful side, ie. not super deluxe but perfectly comfortable.

Very quiet too. Self-catering, but small supermarket and butcher in walking distance, and local restaurants (again, not grand but none the worse for that).

Owners are nice as well. The north cyprus coast pretty built up tho, it's not the place to go for little undiscovered beaches.

monkeysmama Fri 09-Oct-09 15:02:37

Check out the Alymira (cd be Alymyra) designed for families without a karoke night in sight (tasty sushi & candle lit dinners on a platform above the sea with space for pram & sleepy baby next to every table). I'd give it 10/10.

deaddei Sat 10-Oct-09 16:57:25

We went to Pissouri last year and were very disappointed- the beaches are not sandy, and I thought it was very barren and not scenic.
Pissouri village (touted as beautiful)- just isn't. The water park was such a letdown, and generally we felt we wasted the best part of £3 grand. The sea was beautifully clear, and the weather warm- when the rest of Europe was getting lots of rain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now