Talk

Advanced search

2 full days in London with an 11yo and an 8yo. What to do?

(15 Posts)
fartmeistergeneral Fri 09-Oct-09 09:28:07

They both want to go to the Planatarium which is one afternoon sorted. What else do you recommend?

FrightsMonth Fri 09-Oct-09 10:00:17

Do you mean the Planetarium next to Mme Tussauds - don't think it exists any more.

Lots of other stuff to do: London Eye, science, natural history, british museums, tower of london etc etc.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 09-Oct-09 10:31:22

Walks around the City, city of london museum, walk along the Thames, Clerkenwell, science museum, a show, the options are endless and I am very envy. City of my birth and all that.

twirlymum Fri 09-Oct-09 10:35:04

The London Aquarium is good, and it's right next to the London Eye. From there, I'd suggest walking along the south bank, as there are usually some good street entertainers along there.

fartmeistergeneral Fri 09-Oct-09 10:59:07

I mean the planetarium at Greenwich!

plantsitter Fri 09-Oct-09 11:06:55

What Twirlymum says, and you can get a boat between there and Greenwich for extra fun.

The maritime museum in Greenwich is pretty good and has an interactive bit but you might be a bit museumed out after the planetarium (which is BRILLIANT now).

exexpat Fri 09-Oct-09 11:09:47

If you're going to be in Greenwich, the Maritime Museum is also good - lots of child-friendly, hands-on stuff last time I went. If you're there on a Fri/Sat/Sun, Greenwich market is also fun for a browse (nice food stalls too). And it's always more interesting to get to or from Greenwich on one of the boat trips - I think there are some starting from the Tower of London (which is also a good place to go for that age group if they are into gruesome historical stuff - you don't necessarily have to do the crown jewels, which can have big queues and is a bit boring for boys that age) or more boat trips from around the Embankment. My DCs also liked walking through the foot tunnel under the Thames and getting on the Docklands Light Railway the other end.

seeker Fri 09-Oct-09 11:14:24

Oooh - Shoreditch Market and then Brick Lane for lunch!

Horniman Museum

Tate Modern

And if you got LOTS of money to burn, the Duck Tour!

seeker Fri 09-Oct-09 11:16:18

Spitalfields market, I mean - sorry had a moment of brain failure!

Suzypoo Wed 28-Oct-09 13:03:14

My eldest 2 are 12 and 9, and they suggest: London Eye is a must, Houses of Parliament/Big Ben, British Museum ( my kids are fascinated by the mummies), Science Museum, Natural History Museum, London Dungeon, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Regents Park, London Zoo, Covent Garden, London Transport museum in Covent Garden (lots of hands on stuff), catch a Thames boat from Westminster down to the Thames Barrier, walk along the South Bank (good street entertainers), cross over the bridge to Charing Cross station, walk along to Trafalgar Square where you can nip into the National Gallery and St Martin in the Fields, walk up Lower Regent Street which will bring you to Piccadilly Circus, then up Regent Street and take a wander around Hamleys (must be the biggest toy shop in the world!) carry on up Regents Street and then your are in Oxford Street...........

Milliways Wed 28-Oct-09 21:38:19

We walked up Monument this week. Only £3 for adults and £1 per child, and you great a great view (and certificate)! 311 steps though!

The Number 11 Bus is a very cheap Tourist bus alternative.

The Tate Modern has the "Black Hole" at the moment, which is fun to try (and free).

alli01452 Wed 28-Oct-09 21:38:42

museums are good and lots are free
science museum is good lots of fun things for kids to play with and adults too grin you can even watch a 3d film

Chinwag Wed 28-Oct-09 21:42:56

Mine are 11 & 9.

We went on the 2 hour bus tour, (with children's commentary) Tower of London, Hamleys, a show, and Natural History Museum.

Have a good time.

bloss Wed 28-Oct-09 21:46:48

Message withdrawn

bloss Wed 28-Oct-09 21:47:43

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now