Talk

Advanced search

Those who have been to Marrakech recently

(8 Posts)
Poshpaws Thu 08-Oct-09 10:33:34

Is it better to take the local currency or pounds/US dollars?

Not sure if we have left it too late to get the national currency (we are going in 2 weeks) or is the dirham a currency we can just pick up at any high street bank?

Thanks

Allegrogirl Thu 08-Oct-09 20:45:25

It was 3 years ago we went and you couldn't take dirham in or out of the country. I think it's the same now. Easy to find Bureau de change or just use cash machines. Euros are more acceptable then dollars and can be used in lots of places instead of local currency.

We took euros and cash cards and had no problems at all.

Rachmumoftwo Thu 08-Oct-09 20:54:35

It is the same now, you can't buy the currency out of the country. I would do what Allegro girl said, or you could get travellers cheques.

MrsBadger Thu 08-Oct-09 21:01:04

and remember you can't spend leftover dirhams in duty free at the airport either - $/£/E only.

I took $ as I happened to have some left over from a US trip.

ruddynorah Thu 08-Oct-09 21:03:35

bank card will work in cash machines there. or use hotel bureau de change using sterling you've taken with you. tbh i just take a small amount of sterling and then use my cash card.

SazZaVoom Thu 08-Oct-09 21:05:42

Make sure you clear it with your bank that you are going to be withdrawing cash from banks in Morrocco, otherwise they may stop your cards thinking it is fraud

[speaks from experience emoticon]hmm

TequilaMockinBird Thu 08-Oct-09 21:06:48

I was in Morocco in May and travellers cheques are quite hard to get changed. You have to go to a main bank, a lot of the hotels won't change them.

We changed some £'s into Dirhams airside at Manchester Airport and then wished we hadn't as the rate was rubbish compared to when we got out there!

My advice would be to just take £'s and/or bank cards, most of the hotels have cashpoints in the lobby

Poshpaws Fri 09-Oct-09 17:22:47

Thanks for all the advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now