Talk

Advanced search

Flying to USA on Monday - what have I forgotten?

(58 Posts)
purpleturtle Thu 09-Jun-05 16:02:06

If I haven't actually put it in a suitcase yet, it's written on a list of stuff to pack. Dh is useless at this kind of thing, so come on MN, suggest the crucial things I might have forgotten!

hayleylou Thu 09-Jun-05 16:03:02

Medical insurance?

assumedname Thu 09-Jun-05 16:03:02

Suncream
Sunglasses
Hat
Insect repellent

Pruni Thu 09-Jun-05 16:03:15

Message withdrawn

jessicasmummy Thu 09-Jun-05 16:03:17

adapter plug
mossie stuff
sun cream
swim stuff
HATS

assumedname Thu 09-Jun-05 16:03:43

Pruni

Hulababy Thu 09-Jun-05 16:03:51

Most important stuff:

* passports
* travel insurnce
* tickets
* money
* driving license (if hiring car)

If you forget anything else, you can always buy it in the US!

Have a great time!

purpleturtle Thu 09-Jun-05 16:08:26

You are a wonderful lot! Pruni, where would I be without you? (not in Guantanamo). Hulababy, I'm basically working on your principle, too. I've got a little pack of reference numbers, because all our tickets have been booked over the internet. I'm a little nervous that we're going to turn up somewhere to be told we don't exist!

Janh Thu 09-Jun-05 16:11:13

If you have a new driving licence with photo, make sure you take both parts - not sure if you need them both or not, but better to have them just in case.

Lucky you! Where are you going?

Hulababy Thu 09-Jun-05 16:12:33

Don't you find the refernce number thing really wierd? Everytime we go away with just a book of numbers I am convinced I should have something more.

This time round (off to France in 11 days) I am not even sure what we have and haven't paid for - MUST go through Visa bill beforehand!)

Whereabouts are you off to?

nailpolish Thu 09-Jun-05 16:12:37

address of internet cafe where you can mumsnet

Hulababy Thu 09-Jun-05 16:13:05

Re driving license - it is the paper version you definitely have to have. Photo card is still optional.

jessicasmummy Thu 09-Jun-05 16:13:17

just a tip... if you plan on doing the parks etc (assuming you are going to florida) when you get there, get a stock of bottled water in and take a few bottles into the parks with you - park prices are OUCH to say the least!

purpleturtle Thu 09-Jun-05 16:14:09

We're going to Lexington, Kentucky because an old friend from uni is getting married next weekend.

Meanwhile, we're out tonight with work, busy all weekend at a conference, and leaving the house by 7.30am on Monday. Despite my fear of flying, I'm actually looking forward to sitting down on the plane knowing there's a restful 10 days ahead of us!

Hulababy Thu 09-Jun-05 16:15:02

Have a fab time then

purpleturtle Thu 09-Jun-05 16:15:45

nailpolish - EXCELLENT suggestion! We're housesitting for the bride while she's on honeymoon, so I'm hoping she has internet at home.

MeerkatsUnite Thu 09-Jun-05 16:16:40

Hi,

If you have e-tickets you will need to take along the e-mail confirmation of same to the check in desk along with the credit card used to make the purchase.

You can also collect the necessary visa waiver forms (one is required for each person regardless of age) and customs form (one form per family) at the check in desk too. Take some spare forms too in case you make a mistake. Do these forms on the plane, certainly NOT on arrival into the US!!!!!.

have a fab time!!!!

Hulababy Thu 09-Jun-05 16:16:56

In case she hasn't got internet!

nailpolish Thu 09-Jun-05 16:17:09

cool! thats even better. have a great time, i love weddings, sounds like youll have a fab time

purpleturtle Thu 09-Jun-05 16:17:57

Hula - that is completely mad!

Hulababy Thu 09-Jun-05 16:18:05

Oh yes, the visa waivers. You are not allowed ANY mistakes on them at all! And you do one for every member of the family, regardless of age.

purpleturtle Thu 09-Jun-05 16:18:58

Meerkatsunite - thanks for the tip. I've never been out of Europe before, and am convinced I'm going to arrive on a different planet!

Mosschops30 Thu 09-Jun-05 16:19:08

Message withdrawn

SecondhandRose Thu 09-Jun-05 16:19:32

Leave all your toiletries at home and have a whizz round Walmart when you get there.

nailpolish Thu 09-Jun-05 16:20:16

ooohhh walmart is fab. what a great idea. they have dead cheap st ives goodies if i remember correctly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now