Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Posh afternoon tea in London with toddler?

(9 Posts)
Rosie55 Mon 05-Oct-09 13:36:22

My friend is having a small hen do in London including a proper afternoon tea in a hotel. I can't go unless I take my DD with me - she'll be 22 months.

I don't know London that well. Does anyone know a hotel where it's genteel enough to feel like a real treat for my friend, but relaxed enough for a toddler? She's usually really good in restaurants (DD, not friend wink), sitting for ages in a high chair and not making much noise, but she'd probably want to get down and have a wander round eventually.

Or maybe it's a recipe for stress all round and we're mad for considering it...

tigerbear Mon 05-Oct-09 13:41:46

The Chancery Court Hotel in Holborn could be good - they do proper afternoon teas in a large lounge - there are tables, but also big comfy sofas to loll about on. Quite a grand room, but it had an informal atmosphere last time I was there.

squeaver Mon 05-Oct-09 13:45:40

Hmm, do you really not have any other options?

I mean, of course you can do it but the really posh places - the Ritz, Lanesborough, Claridges, Brown's - would accommodate you but they are quite snooty and full of tourists trying to be very genteel and hushed. And if you go somewhere else then it's not really a traditional afternoon tea is it?

Maybe you could somewhere like the Primrose Bakery in Covent Garden? Fabulous cupcakes etc, but it is really just a very nice cafe.

squeaver Mon 05-Oct-09 13:47:06

Oh well, Tiger's thought of something better already!

Of the ones I suggested, I'd probably go for Brown's

Rosie55 Mon 05-Oct-09 16:19:27

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'll look into them.

MarthaFarquhar Mon 05-Oct-09 16:24:09

not a hotel, but the wolseley does a lovely afternoon tea and has always been v. welcoming to my 2.7yo.

Also it's got a buzzy, rather than hushed atmosphere, so it's not one of those places where toddler noise really carries.

Tambajam Mon 05-Oct-09 16:27:43

The tea room at Fortnum and Masons - not the ground floor mezzanine cafe but St James on one of the upper floors (4th?) is great. Definitely a posh high tea experience but not snotty and I've been with well-behaved kids who have been warmly received.

Rosie55 Wed 07-Oct-09 12:50:23

Thanks Martha and Tambajam. I'll report back once we've been.

Kiwinyc Fri 09-Oct-09 17:12:31

My friend just told me about their posh afternoon tea at Browns to celebrate her Mum's birthday on the weekend and said it was fabulous. They took their just 3yo and 8mth old and it was fine, apparently.
Personally i love Fortnum & Mason's as it is a lovely room and a little more relaxed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now