DUBLIN - worth a trip?

(18 Posts)
Rubyrubyruby Wed 30-Sep-09 12:01:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBalladofGayTony Wed 30-Sep-09 12:03:45

depends, what are you expecting?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv expensive

mollyroger Wed 30-Sep-09 12:05:40

I adore it, but I like shopping, drinking and music.

Squishabelle Wed 30-Sep-09 12:13:11

I would love to go but I have heard (and I may be totally wrong here) that it is absolutely full of hen/stag parties and as already mentioned - hugely expensive. I too would like to know if its worth the effort.

tootiredtothink Wed 30-Sep-09 12:15:53

Went for a weekend this year. Didn't notice a huge amount of hens and stags but I was pretty pissed myself at that stage grin.

Loved it. But so incredibly expensive I wouldn't bother again. Thinking Edinburgh next time.

mollyroger Wed 30-Sep-09 12:25:14

Last time I went was a year ago. can't remember it being any more expensive than any other european city. We avoided temple bar at night but found some excellent reasonabley priced food (Ace morrocan!) We took a city bus tour which you could jump on and off, wandered round a wee bit, queued for a silly amount of time to see the Book of Kells, and spent an anwful lot of time chatting with people in pubs. We went to a comedy club. We also invested in a very cheesey but REALLY enjoyable musical evening tour of some famous music pubs with some ve talented singers and performers.
I window shopped (and bought some pirate wellies!) and we laughed at some of the leprecauny tourist crap, and generally had a ovely weekend.

But I would be equally happy with a weekend in Edinburgh. Or Newcastle. Or York. Or London!

Rubyrubyruby Wed 30-Sep-09 12:25:27

angemorange Wed 30-Sep-09 12:35:04

Too expensive and full of pick pockets, come to Belfast instead!!!!

Rubyrubyruby Wed 30-Sep-09 12:49:19

Sourdough Wed 30-Sep-09 13:03:46

People go to Amsterdam to smoke dope and people go to Dublin to get staggeringly drunk.

DH is Irish and we go several times a year and yet I've only been to Dublin once. I think the fact that all the other passengers on the plane seemed to be wearing matching slogan T-shirts and/or sequin-trimmed pink cowboy hats said enough about what to expect. I'd recommend Ireland, but not necessarily Dublin.

Deffo of the opinion that if you can't spell 'craic', you shouldn't be going for it.

Rubyrubyruby Wed 30-Sep-09 13:11:48

Sourdough Wed 30-Sep-09 13:13:51

Bring your cowboy hat

Sourdough Wed 30-Sep-09 13:14:15

wink

angemorange Wed 30-Sep-09 14:12:25

Sorry Ruby, was out for walk!
Belfast v.compact city centre, so easy walking distance to everything. Great shopping - Victoria Square, Castle Court, Royal Ave, quirky shops round student area of Botanic. Lots of great bars and restaurants (Crown, Duke of York, the Spaniard, Potthouse, Apartment, Cafe Vaudeville etc). Also couple of nice parks, Belfast 'Eye' like London Millenium Wheel. If you go late Nov/early Dec there is fab Continental Market at City Hall.
There is also weekly craft/food market in St George's - city centre.
Lots of friendly people and good fun to be had.
I live 10 miles away and a few girlfriends from England/Scotland come over every autumn for a hooley!
Have I sold it enough???

angemorange Wed 30-Sep-09 14:20:15

Forgot - there's also city bus tours you can do. Belfast Zoo is pretty good if you have kids with you - focus on educational rather than captive!! Odyssey Arena also has W5 - for older kids, sort of science/educational centre.
If you want to go further afield in NI Mourne Mountains and Portrush beaches v.beautiful.
Bushmills Inn v.romantic place to stay - near Giant's Causeway.

Babysamrocks Wed 30-Sep-09 14:43:01

angemorange, that it is really helpful. We are coming to Belfast for a couple of days at half term. smile

Rubyrubyruby Wed 30-Sep-09 14:49:51

angemorange Wed 30-Sep-09 15:00:19

Hope you have a great time! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now