Talk

Advanced search

Is Thailand holiday safe when pregnant?

(10 Posts)
MrsC09 Tue 29-Sep-09 18:43:14

Hi, I recently found out I'm pregnant with my first (only 4.5 weeks!). My husband and I had previously booked flights to go to Thailand over Christmas - we haven't decided on a destination yet but leaning toward Koh Tao. I haven't have my tetanus/diphtheria booster in 14 years and am being advised against having one as I'm pregnant. Also slightly concerned about mosquitos as although the malaria risk is very small in that part of thailand the mossies seem to love me and I can't use insect repellant because of deet... My final concern is food poisoning - does anyone know about water, milk, etc safety?

I was wondering if anyone has been to this part (or any part) of Thailand when pregnant and whether there is any need to worry about it? I'll be 16 weeks when we go.

Any advise appreciated!!

nicm Wed 30-Sep-09 11:49:50

hi congratulations!! i'm not sure about thailand but i went to hong kong when i was 12 weeks, had it booked and then found out i was pg. i couldn't have my injections either but it was ok. there was only once i thought i needed my injections when i used a public toilet on a small island! i had to wear full stockings on the flight and the morning sickness was awful when i smelt the onboard breakfast! good luck x

Buda Wed 30-Sep-09 11:53:49

Well my DS was made in Thailand! And we were living in Vietnam at the time. Travelled about. Never took malaria tabs. You CAN use insect repellent. Look for a natural one without DEET.

Just take normal precautions with regard to food. Only drink bottle water etc. Haven't been to Koh Tao - is it very developed or off beaten track?

MrsBadger Wed 30-Sep-09 11:57:03

Buda is quite right re insect repellent and food
bottled water, UHT milk and food that is cooked hot and fresh in front of you should all be fine.

Allets Wed 30-Sep-09 12:04:54

Really no trouble at all.

My DD was conceived in China, we then moved onto Hong Kong, Thailand and Malaysia.

I had my first scan in Malaysia and besides hurling my guts up for the duration of our stay in these countries, I survived.

If you are worried about mosquitos, wear long, loose fitting clothes (Thai Fishermans trousers are an excellent choice and are very versatile as the bump expands. In Australia we can now buy citronella patches which you apply to your clothing, they are natural and very effective at keeping the mosquitos at bay. Best tip for mosquito control at night is to sleep in an airconditioned room. So maybe splash out on a hotel with AC.

You'll be fine :-)

MrsC09 Wed 30-Sep-09 20:02:55

Thanks for your responses! It makes me feel better about the whole thing as wouldn't really like to forgo 2 weeks of winter sun! Will have a look for the citronella patches.

Badpups Sat 03-Oct-09 08:14:03

I went to Chiang Mai and Bangkok when I was 16 weeks pregnant with twins and had a fantastic holiday. We also went over Christmas/New Year.

I was careful, especially with things like nuts (e.g. avoided pad thai which contains peanuts), cream and ice. I had no problems with insect bites and they usually love eating me! Possibly my blood tasted different when pregnant? I bought a deet free insect repellent and also took safe diarrhoea treatment from the UK but had no need for it at all.

Hope you have a great holiday.

wingandprayer Sat 03-Oct-09 08:25:41

We went to Phuket for two weeks when I was 24 weeks and all was good. Like everyone else says, no immunisations (though was mostly covered already) and although I am usually plagued by mozzies I didn't get a single bite. I don't know if it was down to different hormonal balance or pregnancy vitamins (was told something about vitamin B making you smell less atrractive to them?!). I also had compression socks on flights.

I was told by a local that when Thai ladies get pregnant they do tend to cover themselves up - I think I was wondering aloud to him about why I hadn't seen any pregnant Thai ladies and why I was getting a few odd looks. I made an effort to be a bit more demure after that and did get less staring. I was alos not allowed to go on any of the speedboat type trips to the islands from the hotels and they thought and the banging and crashing over waves would not be good for me. They were probably right. Not familiar with Ko Tao but you may want to avoid boat transfers if such a thing would be required.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 05-Oct-09 09:17:23

The last time we were in Koh Tao it was rather basic and back packery. If it were me I'd be inclined to go to one of the bigger places - Phuket or even better Krabi. Mozzie repellant is available without deet, I can't recall the name of the one we used, it was in a white roll on bottle with green writing. I used it daily on our dd before school. The only time (in four years residence in Thailand) that I heard of anyone getting the trots from food it came from a five star hotel. The street food vendors cook each serving freshly so it isn't hanging around growing bacteria. Go and enjoy it, the hospitals are good too.

MaggieW Mon 05-Oct-09 16:27:21

We had two weeks in Thailand in the summer and, as far as food goes, its one of the most hygienic places I've travelled to. None of us got stomach upsets and we ate everything from five star to roadside stalls. We all brushed our teeth from the taps, but did buy bottled water.

Re mossies - I'm usual a target for them and I didn't get bitten once, which I was surprised about. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now