Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nigeria - anyone been there?

(13 Posts)
suedonim Tue 07-Jun-05 22:33:29

I just want to find out what it's like as dh is considering a job in Lagos. Schools, utilities reliability, food etc and of course internet access!

GaylordFocker Tue 07-Jun-05 22:35:08

I wish. Africa is supposed to be a very beautiful country by all accounts. Are you happy about moving

Pruni Tue 07-Jun-05 22:38:28

Message withdrawn

Blu Tue 07-Jun-05 22:41:33

My colleague is nigerian - he always curses the time he spends in lagos on his way to his family in another part of the country, for reasons mentioned by Pruni, and also because Lagos comes from 'Lagoon' and it is v mosquito-ridden - and malarial at that.
But no, I haven't been, and this is hearsay.

ladymuck Tue 07-Jun-05 22:52:51

What line of business? Oil IIRC?

The majority of oil expats don't bring their family IME (never been - due to visit later this year, but not seen as a suitable positing for a woman!!!!). The main school is the American Int School, but usually families go for UK boarding.

Can you see \link{http://outpostthehague.com/destinprotect/lagos/infobooklagos.pdf}. If not CAT me and I'll see if I can email it.

Plus side - usually huge pay and allowances!

ladymuck Tue 07-Jun-05 22:53:44

Blast
this .

OldieMum Tue 07-Jun-05 22:56:22

I have not been to Nigeria, but I know a lot of people - mainly academics - who have. Lagos is a tough place to live - very bad traffic jams, poor public services - and I wouldn't consider it myself. The plus side would be the interest of living in Nigeria, which, for all its problems, is a fascinating place.

kama Tue 07-Jun-05 22:56:42

Message withdrawn

suedonim Tue 07-Jun-05 23:22:55

Wow, loads of replies, thank you!! Yes, it's oil-related. There are dh's co expats with pre-schoolers out there but no one we know with school-age children so international schools are of interest. I'm wondering about day-to-day life, security, there things I could do, voluntary work and so on? I wouldn't want to be cooped up all day on a compound. Is it better/worse/same as Indonesia, would you reckon? The folks dh has spoken to seem to think it's okay, though one chap said the only decent thing he could think of was that you don't get jetlag, going to and fro!

Ladymuck, your link wouldn't come up - just got that 'page cannot be displayed' thing.

kama Tue 07-Jun-05 23:24:15

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 07-Jun-05 23:25:04

Erm..Africa aint a country glf..
Nigeria-most corrupt country in the world,they say (but don't mind me,Iknowall about corruption having lived in Russia)

lapsedrunner Wed 08-Jun-05 10:56:42

Have you tried posting on www.expatmum.com?

suedonim Wed 08-Jun-05 21:21:30

Thanks, Kama, if it looks like this is going to happen, I may take you up on that. Same goes for www.expatmum, LR.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now