Talk

Advanced search

East coast America summer 2010, but where?

(11 Posts)
lavenderkate Mon 28-Sep-09 23:06:45

Never been to the U.S. before. Could anyone advise me on where to go with the family please?

North of New York, pretty coastline and beaches, nice towns. Suggestions?

Ruthiebabes Tue 29-Sep-09 19:40:59

Have you thought of Cape Cod, about an hour from Boston. You could have a few days in Boston to see the sights (it is a lovely city). Then head down to the Cape for beautiful beaches (check it out on tripadvisor.co.uk for peoples experiences there).

lavenderkate Tue 29-Sep-09 21:44:11

thank you Ruthie, I will do now.

have you been yourself?

Ruthiebabes Tue 29-Sep-09 22:05:14

Been to Boston several times as have family there. Never been to the Cape but my US cousins holiday there every year. A girl from my work went to the Cape this summer for 2 weeks and raved about it.

When our two boys get a bit older will def be going!!

lavenderkate Tue 29-Sep-09 23:02:42

Funnily enough I have family there too. Grandmother's cousin (must be long gone now I expect)

Prices seem steep and some booked up already hmm
will keep googling.

jennifersofia Tue 29-Sep-09 23:08:56

Ooh - couldn't let this one go by without a plug for my stomping grounds - Vermont. I grew up there, and it is lovely. Not masses going on, but green hilly rural-ness and pretty little towns. I recommend lake swimming, and also a visit to Burlington, the only (v. small) city, which is a funky little university town cited on Lake Champlain.
We used to holiday on the Cape every summer, and I have very fond memories of it. I think it has got quite touristy now though. I personally prefer the upper cape (the forearm, rather than the bicep, if you get what I mean). Do enjoy your planning!

lavenderkate Tue 29-Sep-09 23:34:42

Lucky you jennifersofia, it looks gorgeous!
Thanks.

queenofdenial2009 Wed 30-Sep-09 12:50:23

I love New Hampshire as have been skiing a few times and am thinking of going there myself next summer with DD (4). Was just thinking about it this morning after I dropped her off at school this morning.

I was thinking cheap flight from Bristol airport to NY, couple of days there, train to Boston, stay with old friend (Boston is great, good public transport, friendly, safe) and then hire car up to NH. It's about four hours and the White Mountains are beautiful. Good shopping too as no sales tax!

There was an article in last week's Guardian travel section about a lake house in NH. Lake Winipauseekee or somesuch (that spelling is not right).

lavenderkate Wed 30-Sep-09 18:33:24

Queenof, can you ski in New Hampshire in Summer. Is it that high above sea level?!

DH and I were googling the area last night. The coast looks beautiful. But from what you saying, we could do beach, city and ski? That would be one fantastic holiday. grin

queenofdenial2009 Wed 30-Sep-09 20:05:22

Sorry no, skiing in winter only. But great hiking and boating in the summer. The Appalachian Trail runs through NH. If you want all three, you want Spain or Vancouver/Whistler in British Columbia. Summer skiing is overrated IMO as the snow is pretty slushy.

vinblanc Fri 02-Oct-09 22:07:54

Hmm, Cape Cod... I don't think I would go there if I did not have a family connection with it. It is quite expensive, traffic can be horrible, and service is poor by American standards (seasonal workers can't afford the prices there).

It's a bit like a poor relation to Cornwall but terribly congested.

The other problem with the Cape is that the weather isn't much better than the UK. You can get hot days for sure, but you can also get a lot of rain.

If you want beaches, I would be inclined to recommend the Jersey shore south to the Carolinas.

I agree with Jennifer about Vermont. It is beautiful and free of much of the trashiness that you get in some parts of the US (I believe that billboards are illegal). The ski resorts have great summer activities, including children's camps.

It really depends on what exactly you want to do. Distances are far in the US, even on the East Coast. It can eat up a lot of your time trying to get to quaint villages, and you often find that when you get there, they are totally sleepy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now