Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OMG footloose and fancy-free - but where?

(13 Posts)
Pruni Tue 07-Jun-05 16:00:02

Message withdrawn

bossykate Tue 07-Jun-05 16:03:10

uk or abroad?

motherinferior Tue 07-Jun-05 16:09:18

I am afraid I am too paralysed with jealousy to think. All on your own???

Marina Tue 07-Jun-05 16:15:33

I would not recommend the rest of Sicily for a lone woman traveller, but Taormina is gorgeous.
In the UK, you might like North Norfolk or, if you don't mind the sun being less than scorchio, Northumberland.
A girlfriend regularly holidays solo in St Ives in Cornwall and loves it.

Pruni Tue 07-Jun-05 16:16:33

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Tue 07-Jun-05 16:24:55

I would avoid all of Sicily - went there with a bunch of girlfriends for the millenium and while it is distinctly flattering to be chatted up by dark-eyed blokes wherever one goes, it's not exactly restful.

Marina Tue 07-Jun-05 16:26:51

Corsica is nice. There is a cute little studio in the old city in Calvi that would be perfect for a lady traveller and we loved it there. You don't even need to hire a car and the town is groaning with atmosphere.
The studio is let by Corsican Places, they are a great operator.

sorrel Tue 07-Jun-05 16:33:18

My family have a small studio apartment on west coast of france. I could check if it is available for your dates.Would be about £250 a week.
It is two minutes walk to 2 nice cove beaches near village with market and restaurants and there is a communal pool.( operational until sept15th)lots of nice sea walks and there is a bike you could use.near Royan in Charente Maritime.

lapsedrunner Tue 07-Jun-05 20:06:55

Pruni I am so jealous, a lady after my own heart ...I'd go to Corsica as well, fantasic place. Actually went there on my own some years ago but it was to a "villa party" type set up. Means you are on your own during the day but have a house party type dinner in evening.

lapsedrunner Tue 07-Jun-05 20:08:16

Also look at www.gite-de-france.fr. Hundred of rural self catering gites, really easy to shut your self away, go for 3 "ears of corn" standard.

lapsedrunner Tue 07-Jun-05 20:08:46

sorry, www.gites-de-france.fr

annh Tue 07-Jun-05 20:13:12

Canary Islands? Specifically Fuertaventura. It would be warm, not particularly scenic but safe on your own. The southern end could be a bit built-up but the northern part, around Corralejo, is low rise and has lots of nice restaurants where I could imagine myself eating happily alone.

Blu Tue 07-Jun-05 20:19:58

oooh, bliss! I have been on fabulous holidays to get time all by myself - but not since Ds was born...oh, how I miss it.

I have found the smaller greek places very good - and have always found the option of having a drink with someone I met on a ferry or a walk, or being alone with my book. Paleochora in Crete, Paxos, and a little place on the Pelopponese mainland called Ermione all spring to mind as places that would fit your bill.
Also Tamariu, a little cove resort on the Costa brava way N of the teeming tourist stretch, which has a lovely small beach and lots of friendly cafes and bars, and is on the Camio da ronda (sp?) if you fancy a bit of a coastal walk. And if you really want a quiet spot, a small hamlet called Sa Tuna on a cove with a lovely small hotel with v tasty authentic and v reasonably priced food in their cafe bar. Alos on the Costa Brava, n of Tamariu. I didn't stay there - but while visiting with DP and DS, longed to! Slightly gravelly beach, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now