Talk

Advanced search

great family railcard offer!

(20 Posts)
triplets Mon 06-Jun-05 23:12:23

Hi,
I don`t expect many of you young mums by Family Circle magazine, I do because its soooooo brill for offers. In this months mag (June) there is a really good offer, three months free family railcard and when they send it to you they will also give you a £5 voucher towards the purchase of a new one, so £15 for a card to last a year, got to be good! Mines already in the post!

MarsLady Mon 06-Jun-05 23:15:56

Thanks for the tip will buy that in the am Another reason for me to love you!

MarsLady Mon 06-Jun-05 23:35:10

worth bumping. Think of the summer holidays! Really cheap travel.

sparklymieow Mon 06-Jun-05 23:49:37

how much is a family card? and how much do the ticket cost you then? Just I go to great ormond street a lot and wonder if this will save some cash.

MarsLady Mon 06-Jun-05 23:51:39

there you go

sparklymieow Mon 06-Jun-05 23:54:30

thanks!

MarsLady Mon 06-Jun-05 23:56:13

you're welcome

triplets Tue 07-Jun-05 13:57:27

Its such a good deal. just in time for the school holidays too, my trio have never been on a proper train yet, shame on me! A trip to London will be nice.

LunarSea Tue 07-Jun-05 14:34:16

You're braver than I am if your definition of "nice" is braving the tube with three toddlers in tow!

BethAndHerBrood Tue 07-Jun-05 14:34:55

I've just clicked on the link, but am having a dumb day - can someone explain this to me please??

You buy this card, then journeys are cheaper? Is that right??

roisin Tue 07-Jun-05 14:43:24

Beth: I've just had a look at the site, and it doesn't seem to give the figures!

From memory:
Every adult travelling on the card gets 1/3 off the normal fare.
Every child travels at half the normal child's price (I think), subject to a £1 minimum fare.

roisin Tue 07-Jun-05 14:44:13

The discounts also apply to most cheap/advance fares - apex etc.

We save loads of money on ours every year. But have just got a new one, so can't benefit from the Family Circle thing.

roisin Tue 07-Jun-05 14:45:59

To use your card you must have children with you (!), but you can pay for an Under5 in order to use your card.

With one card you can take up to 4 children plus either or both of the named adults on the card, and up to two additional adults.

tarantula Tue 07-Jun-05 14:46:04

You get something like 1/3 off adult tickets and 2/3 off childrens for a year. Ours has saved us a fortune. We got our moneys worth on the first journey as twas less to buy the card and pay for the tickets with it than to pay full fare.

foxinsocks Tue 07-Jun-05 14:46:34

Here's the restriction bit....annoying about the 'wholly within London bit!'. I worked out that my sister (in Herts) can get to and travel around London cheaper than I can just because she lives outside London and I live in London!

'The Railcard discount isn't available on tickets when journeys are made wholly within the London and SouthEast area (including all South West Trains services to and from London Waterloo) on morning peak period services, Monday to Friday (not including Public Holidays).

The times of morning off-peak services do vary by route and are normally related to the availability of Cheap Day tickets. It's best to check with the ticket office staff before buying tickets.'

roisin Tue 07-Jun-05 14:49:09

As an example of the savings available:

Normal fare - £20, normal child fare £10.
Party of 4 adults + 4 children.
Total normal fare £120

With railcard adults pay £13.35 children pay £5.
So total railcard fare for party of 4+4: £73.40

tarantula Tue 07-Jun-05 14:52:39

you can buy family travel cards to get round London tho FIS which are really cheap. Its cheaper for dp to buy a family travelcard as his fare si discounted and dds fare is 80p rather than him to buy a full price travel card and dd to go free IYSWIM. and you dont need a family railcard for taht either.

tarantula Tue 07-Jun-05 14:55:07

and that thing abou tthe wholly within the SE is very confusing as they are only talking about peak morning travel times and not the rest of the time. Its nt very clear and I actually had to ask the fella at the station about it when we bought ours.

foxinsocks Tue 07-Jun-05 14:56:13

I didn't know that tarantula but then given how friendly the ticket people are round here, it's no surprise really! I'll look next time we go out

tarantula Tue 07-Jun-05 15:04:06

heres the tfl website with details. We are very lucky to have friendly staff at our local station who really take time to sort out the cheapest tickets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now