Talk

Advanced search

how many euros do we need to take??

(18 Posts)
ilovetochat Mon 21-Sep-09 21:29:36

We (me, dp and dd (2)) are going to Majorca for a fortnight and havent been abroard for over 3 years and have no idea how much money we need to take.

week 1 we are half board in a hotel so need lunch each day and drinks.
week 2 we are full board on a cruise and all drinks will be on card but we will spend 5 days in port so need 5 lunches.

we are not heavy drinkers, just a couple of alcoholic drinks a day and water.
we dont shop, ie clothes/handbags etc.
we will use buses for most trips out.

give me a guesstimate please smile

Portofino Tue 22-Sep-09 10:06:44

Depends what you'd consider lunch? Takeway sandwich/slice of pizza and cold drink on the beach vs proper sit down lunch in a restaurant/cafe. I'd be guessing 20 euros per day for the former up to 50 euros per day for the latter (nowhere THAT fancy), to include some bus fairs/drinks etc.

We've been to France for the last few years, self catering and I always plan 100 euros a day to cover food, meals out, trips, petrol etc. This is for 3 of us. We look forward to our holidays so don't really scrimp on everything, but this year I found that budget tight and we didn't go out and about as much as I would have liked.

ilovetochat Tue 22-Sep-09 14:53:36

thinking of taking £500 and then using back if we need more. or is that too expensive to use.

Portofino Tue 22-Sep-09 15:27:44

back? You usually get the best exchange rate if you use your normal bank card. But I know some banks charge for the priviledge.

ilovetochat Tue 22-Sep-09 15:44:47

bank sorry blush

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 22-Sep-09 15:46:40

is it always, 'twice and much money and half as many clothes...' grin

ilovetochat Tue 22-Sep-09 15:59:20

youre right grin, packing for dd is a nightmare as if she spills everything or has accidents then she gts through all outfits quickly. i'll be like a washer woman.

alypaly Thu 24-Sep-09 09:50:53

nationwide do a card that only charges .75% interest on any foreign transactions.dDS1 took it to Oz and was used just for cash withdrawals. I beieve ther is another bank that doesnt charge...think it might be alliance and leicester
sorry im stalking grin

alypaly Thu 24-Sep-09 09:55:21

i would take nearer to £800 as spain is not cheap any more. Depands what typre of lunches you go for. Snacky or a la carte things. Its the drinks that soon add up.
We were paying 4.5 euros for a glass of wine and 3 for a coke in greece.G and T 5.5 euros.

ilovetochat Thu 24-Sep-09 14:06:37

snacky lunches, more for dd really as we'd be happy with fruit.
omg i cant afford 5 euros a drink, thats mad.
we have exchanged £500 today and the rest will have to be on card.
got to leave money for bills that come out while we are away and got to pay parking yet.

alypaly Thu 24-Sep-09 14:47:52

think you might be pushing it with everything...are all your trips paid for in the second week or have you got to sort those out on the boat.

ilovetochat Thu 24-Sep-09 14:58:13

2nd week all drinks on card, all food included, just need money in 5 ports for lunch and drink, we arent going on organised trips as they are £100 for waterpark shock so taking bus/taxi to interesting places. we can swap more money when we know how much we need.

alypaly Thu 24-Sep-09 15:02:28

you are better organising them yourselves when you get there...alot cheaper.

Waterpark wont be that much when you get there as DD should be half price

ilovetochat Thu 24-Sep-09 15:12:49

if its nice weather dd will be happy on the beach and looking round the local areas mostly. at the hotel we plan to chill and use the pool and let dd run around the beach and have freedom.
just want a family break. smile

alypaly Thu 24-Sep-09 15:34:20

you sound as though you really need it. You seem to have alot on your plate at the mo..what with the house and things.
Glad you have made some new friends at classessmile hopefully someone you can ask round for a coffee,maybesmile

ilovetochat Thu 24-Sep-09 15:53:18

today i met a nice lady swimming with her baby son and dd was kind and calm around him and i will see her again in 3 weeks but i always feel too embarassed to offer a coffee incase they think im ott and want to get back to their busy lives blush. sometimes if their dc are a lot younger/older i think maybe the age gaps too big for dd? ive had a few bad experiences. one girl came round and then never invited me back, then we went out and i asked her round and she never turned up?? one girl i thought i got on with i asked her to bring her dd round and she sort of just looked at me and said yeah maybe sometime and walked off?? one girl asked for my number and then never called me. one girl keeps saying we must meet up but is always busy and says she will call...?? people chat with me when im out but thats it, noone seems to want to be my friend and meet at the park/cafe/shops. everwhere i go, alone with dd, i see 2 or 3 moms together envy and they are insular as theyd ont need anyne else.

alypaly Thu 24-Sep-09 16:21:20

they are probably waiting for the same. Id offer,whats the worst that can happen....she might just say yes.

I never got much opportunity to see people as i was 33 when i had DS1 and that was considered old. Most of the mums in my anti natal and post natal groups were in ther early 20's ,swore alot and smoked,so i wasnt too keen.
I would have loved a close friend to confide in,right from having DS1 as i have been thro some awful times over the years.
Actually i would have loved a close friend from childhood..but that never happened either.
My dad was an alcoholic and used to hit me and my mum and no one ever wanted to come to my house.sad
Loneliness seems to have plagued me a little bit...but i just plough myself into things and try and cope.I think thats what has made me a bit of a perfectionist. I dont want to make the same mistakes as my parents did etc.

ilovetochat Thu 24-Sep-09 16:36:26

you are me sad
im 31 and it does feel old sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now