Talk

Advanced search

New york for kiddies

(4 Posts)
Silverel Sun 20-Sep-09 19:01:16

We're going to NYC for a week with our 3 kids - aged 8,6 and 2. I know there are lots of little parks and good shops and museums, but any other tips? Am kind of dreading it but we've got weeing upstate and then having week in manhattan in a serviced apartment. Also anyone know good babysitting service so we can have one night out without them.

Sunshinemambo Sun 20-Sep-09 19:39:45

We took our two recently, they're a little younger, aged 3 and 1, but we had a great time.

Battery Park and the bottom west corner of Central Park have great playgrounds.

Toys R Us in Times Square is a must as it has lots of people walking round in costumes and a ferris wheel in it.

DS, 3, loved seeing the 'green lady'. Staten Island ferry great for this as free.

Sparks steak house was amazing and they were great with the kids and found us a fab table where we could park the pram. It's famous for a mafia hit in the 80s and steaks are amazing.

I'm sure there must be a Time Out guide for kids for New York.

JamInMyWellies Sun 20-Sep-09 19:51:41

Just got back from 10days in NY with my two boys 2yr and 9mth. We too stayed in a serviced apartment so much easier if you have children.

So brilliant place to go is the Childrens Museum of Manhattan on the West side around 93rd(ish) Great for all ages of children all on differnet floors with area to suit all ages.

The Intrepid decommisioned war ship with concord beside it. Also the West side

Madison Square Park 23rd and Park great play park with the must visit Shake Shak althoguh be warned the que for the burgers is often round the block.

FAO Schwartz big piano from the movie Big with Tom Hanks.

Toysrus, ferris wheel.

Scholastic store in Soho lots of Harry Potter and Clifford the big red dog book shop.

So many great parks all around thr city.

I used to live there so if you have any questions ask away. Its a brilliant place to take children of all ages and New Yorkers are very very friendly. Oh and for food go to Whole Foods Union Sq, Columbus Circle or 27th & 7th lovley fresh food premade homecooked meals fab supermarket.

Portofino Tue 22-Sep-09 10:20:24

I can recommend the Frommers NYC with kids book - loads of useful information. In addition to that already mentioned, there is a merry-go round in Central Park, and of course the zoo. Museum of Natural History. Top of the Rock is fab, especially at night. We went at the end of October and the ice rink was set up at the Rockefeller centre.

For food, Ellen's Stardust Diner - close to Times Square - has singing waiters and a train track round the room. Angelo's of Mulberry Street did fantastic pasta. And the Ocean Grill on the Upper West Side has great seafood dishes and a good children's menu. (Dd was playing with Catherine Zeta Jone's dcs whilst we were there!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now