Talk

Advanced search

i want to do something different - but not to nomadesq IYKWIM. so please plase please suggest something ta

(19 Posts)
Tortington Sun 05-Jun-05 18:31:18

right then its like this we dont do package holidays wedo eurotent camping holidays in france - this means we are ok with not being too posh as long as its cheap and there is a bar nearby.

sunbathing is out of the question as its just like waiting to die. and my kids are twins 12 and son 15. so was thinking biking canoeing rockclimbing scuba diving kinda things - which will accomodate people who have never tried it and will provide the gear and willnot be expensive ..... and if it has a bar - that will be good cos dh is afraid of water and heights buts we dont mind leaving him behind.

i thught biking in france - ending up somewhere with a bar at the end. or potholing somewhere
any snow sports would be good

in fact any cheapo ski stuff i would consider - cos we have never been able to afford to do that and the boys are desperate to try snow boarding

so lots of varied different kinds of ideas and any links to sites would be very welcome

please please help me out

ta muchio

Tortington Sun 05-Jun-05 18:32:18

here or abroad am not right fussy

Yorkiegirl Sun 05-Jun-05 18:33:10

Message withdrawn

SenoraPostrophe Sun 05-Jun-05 18:46:08

I'm not hugely well travelled, but would thoroughly recommend Monachil, just outside Granada. In the summer there is mountain climbing, cycling, walking etc (even in August when it's far too hot for me) and in winter there is skiing about half an hour's drive up the road. the skiing is v cheap compared to France (I think it's 25E for a day pass and you can hire all the gear for another 25E or so) - there is accommodation at the ski resort but it's pricey.

In monachil you could have somthing like this for 60E a night. Loads of bars, a few of them touristy, a few very local.

different anyway.

Tortington Mon 06-Jun-05 01:09:48

thannks will do some more research any one else?

Chandra Mon 06-Jun-05 01:15:23

HAve you heard about El Camino de Santiago? is a pilgrimage road that ends up in Santiago de Compostela (North of Sapin). I think it has lost a lot of its religious significance (people have followed it for many centuries) but my SIL did it a couple of years ago and she said it was fantastic, as they walked during the day and stoped at a different village every night and there were lots and lots of very friendly people following it at the same time.

Chandra Mon 06-Jun-05 01:15:42

Sapin=Spain

Chandra Mon 06-Jun-05 01:16:21

BTW my SIL is an atheist and still enojed it so don't be put off by that

Skribble Mon 06-Jun-05 01:23:14

Maybe I will have to watfch this thread as noo body really answers my threads . Maybe I will defect to tripadvisor.com .

Tortington Mon 06-Jun-05 02:02:54

sounds worth a google chandra thanks

what kind of hol you after skribble?

lapsedrunner Mon 06-Jun-05 07:15:34

Have a look at www.headwater.com and www.esprit-holidays.co.uk , I'll let you know if I think of more. DH & I have also done a cylcling holiday between hotels in S of France which was great. You are provided with the bikes & route and your luggage is moved for you. We went with www.inntravel.co.uk.

Twiglett Mon 06-Jun-05 08:32:42

I keep looking at this title and thinking what the hell is nomadesq???

anyone enlighten me?

SenoraPostrophe Mon 06-Jun-05 08:34:51

nomadesque = full of poncey traveller types and no tourist bars (at least, that's what i understood it to mean)

LIZS Mon 06-Jun-05 08:59:53

Andorra is supposed to be cheap for skiing and may offer outdoors activities in sumemr but unlikely to be skiing. You could camp in the Alps in the summer and try snowboarding or summer skiing on a glacier such as at Tignes, Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn) and Hintertux, it isn't cheap to do though by the time you hire equipment, instructor and lift pass, and there are lots of other outdoors activities such as mountain biking, canyoning, rafting etc. If you contact the tourist office of a couple of resorts they should be able to send you details of camping/mobile home type sites and the activities which they or local guides and companies might organise. There are tour operators who organise it, such as Crystal but they can actually work out more expensive.

moondog Mon 06-Jun-05 09:34:14

What about somewhere like Morocco (not too much snow obviously)
We went a few years ago,just turned up at Marrakesh,hired a car and went all over...cities,Atlantic coast,mountains and desert
Absolutely fantastic and incredibly exotic and different (and believe me,I've been around!) Too hot now though,but up to May is ace

Kiwifruit Mon 06-Jun-05 11:28:14

Turkey - we went to Dalyan (fly into Dalaman). There's lots of mountain biking, boat trips, fishing trips, 4wd trips, ancient ruins to climb over etc., and it's really cheap. Dalyan is really nice - laid back, has tourist bars, but not those nasty ones full of package holiday types that you see in some resorts. People are lovely as the area hasn't been over touristed, so they're not all cynical. Try www.dalyan.com for accommodation and an idea of some of the activities you can do.

slug Mon 06-Jun-05 12:25:51

Slovenia. It's cheap to get to (easyjet), small so easy to get around, has mountains and vineyards, lakes and a small coastline. How about cycling around it? We went last summer and never had trouble getting accomodation, there are campsites everywhere. Look at lake Bled, lake Bohinj, World Heritage caves near Postjana, and real old fashioned Eastern European Spas (complete with taking the waters and hydro therapy) for a break mid holiday.

purpleturtle Mon 06-Jun-05 12:55:49

As a kid we camped several times in Mayrhofen, Austria. There are cable cars, chair lifts etc open in summer, or you can walk up into the mountains, visiting mountain huts, whre you can stamp a card from tourist info to prove you made it. When you've got enough stamps you ccan buy a badge - bronze, silver, gold

Takes a couple of days to drive to Austria if you fancy it!

Tortington Mon 06-Jun-05 13:08:44

your all so kind - thank you will cetainly do some research ony our excellent ideas and report back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now