Talk

Advanced search

Top tips for flying with two kids and no husband!!

(10 Posts)
trixieredbag Fri 18-Sep-09 14:50:53

Hi,

It's the first time flying out with the kids and not my husband - I've got everything arranged with the airline but I just wondered if anyone had any top tips for getting through the airport in one piece??

zenlikecalm Fri 18-Sep-09 14:56:05

what ages are they?

trixieredbag Fri 18-Sep-09 15:07:58

2 and 5

Mybox Fri 18-Sep-09 20:44:01

Take as little possible as hand luggage. Be ready for travel sickness with some bags and wipes, take some loo paper/tissues for airport loos just in case. A pushchair would be handy.

Elk Fri 18-Sep-09 20:58:32

I am doing this later this year with a 6 and 4 year old.

I am putting changes of clothes etc in a backpack for me to carry.I will probably end up having to carry the four year old as the flight time is way past their bedtime. The 6 year old is going to have a wheelie suitcase with toys/books etc to keep the two of them amused on the plane. We will be taking one suitcase for hold baggage and I will not be using a handbag as that will be one more thing for me to lose.

inVlanderen Fri 18-Sep-09 21:05:42

Take as little as possible.

Keep your documents and money etc. in a bumbag.

Take mini packets of sweets and snacks.

Take mini colouring books/pencils sets.

Check in early enough to get good seats but board as late as possible. Waiting for take off is the worst time.

Presuming going on a plane is still something of a novelty and you´re not sitting in the plane waiting for take off for hours, everything will be easier than you think.

Drayford Sun 20-Sep-09 02:47:24

Be the last to board (stay sitting down until the queue at the gate is only 2 people or so)

Take all help that is offered by ground and air crew! Don't be polite and refuse any offers, they are trained to help and love looking after littlies!

Ditto the above suggestions of lots of small toys, sweets & snacks (playdough & etch a sketch (or something similar) was always a hit for my dc longhaul) Keep pulling something new out every hour or so.

Strap your 5yo in if poss (bribery works a treat)

Wire your 5 yo into any seatback entertainment that may be available. My DS spent a whole 8 hours watching Bob the Builder & some appalling pseudo disney film back to back! (they don't seem to mind it repeating when they are strapped in). Otherwise, stories on ipod or mp3 are a good distraction.

Also - have a large G&T or bucket of wine ready when you arrive - you will have earned it!

pogleswife Wed 23-Sep-09 21:14:08

I travelled to New Zealand with 3 kids 8, 5 and 3 without dh and they were marvellous - I was dreading it but they were so good- seemed to sense I was on my own and needed them to be! Airline and airport personnel were so helpful too, much more so than when there were two adults. So, good luck, and have a good flight

NotSoSkinnyNow Thu 01-Oct-09 22:37:00

I'm just back from travelling alone with 12 week old and 17 month old, and have to say it went better than I hoped!
check with both your departure and arrival airports to see what assistance they can give. In my case, I had to pay for the service in one airport but not the other. It was worth paying though (23 quid for departure, 18 for when we arrived back in)as someone met me at the door of the airport, helped me returning hired car, fast-tracked me through both check-in and security, and right up to boarding the plane. When we landed, someone got onto the plane to help us disembark (I had to use a car seat on board so this was really helpful) they also got all our luggage off the carousel and took the trolley with all luggage, car seats etc, so all I had to do was push the buggy with the children in it! Made the journey through the airport very easy.

MovingOutOfBlighty Thu 01-Oct-09 22:43:15

Just taken a 18m and 5 year old on holiday alone.
It was interesting! The best piece of equipment I took was the portable DVD player for the plane. On went Bolt and the journey was fab!

Just be careful though, there was nowhere to put 18m DS in the trolley when trying to take luggage. Ended up having to teeter him on bags just as they said not to!
Also, used Valet Parking services which was only £50 for the week (all in parking and they pick you up and drop off - amazing service)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now